Topic

jdomb
Accepted Solution

Touchpad not working

the touchpad on my aspire 5517 has stopped working and I can use the cursor only with a mouse.I have windows 7.I tried system restore and used devise manager.

Frequent Contributor
st3ph3nnity

Re: Touchpad not working

This reply isn`t going to be much help to resolve the problem but I am posting because this issue is a continual problem...I also had this and also re-installed everything but to no avail...I went online and found many users experience this issue...it is the synaptics device and I have not read of one resolution...in the end I uninstalled the synaptics device and use a wireless mouse which at least doesn`t jump all over the place and works as it should...it is worth a thought maybe.

jdomb

thanks- I have a mouse and I guess that will be the solution

Established Member
gcsgupta

This can happen when you unintentionally turn of the touch pad on the laptop, I remember the AS5517 using a hotkey combination to toggle the touchpad. Try Fn(Function) + F7

Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the Kudos Button to give a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.
jdomb

function f7 asks if I want to use caret browsing? Not sure what that is

Established Member
gcsgupta

[ Edited ]

The laptop uses a hotkey combination, you will have to use it with the FN key (located next to the spacebar on your laptop) + F7 key on the top row of the keyboard.

By the way, caret browsing is a feature of Internet Explorer, the shortcut key to enable caret browsing is F7, when in Internet Explorer

Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the Kudos Button to give a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.
jdomb

that is what  I did. Fn key and f7. It asks me if I want caret browsing and not sure what that means

Established Member
gcsgupta

Close all the open IE windows, hold down the Fn key and press the F7 key.

jdomb

thanks but still not working. I think I will drop the matter and use a mouse.

Visitor
terw

many thanks. This had  been bothering me for weeks; problem now solved.

Did you know? Acer Community is also available in the following languages: