Sleep/ Graphics drivers problem

Options
thedevmehta
thedevmehta Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello!

I am Using an Acer Aspire E1-572G with an intel 4200U i5 Processor, 4 Gigabytes of RAM, 2 Gigabytes AMD Radeon HD8750M Graphics Card. (I Don't think I need to mention my exact model number.)

So proceeding to my problem, 

After I Updated to Windows 8.1 (From the Windows 8 that comes built in in my Laptop) I got welcomed by a plethora of problems.

Problem #1:

After I shut the lid of my latop, it goes to sleep (or i think it does) and then after waking up my laptop by opening the lid and pressing the power button, I'm welcomed by a Blue screen that has a 'Smiley Sad' emote and says 'Windows encountered a problem' and the error 'VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR' and the PC restarts, hence, losing all my data.

Please help! 

Problem #2

And after it restarts in such a manner, after displaying that error, the screen is on full brightness and I can't change the Brightness levels and the graphics card also stops working, making Windows 8 Animations very choppy and slow. It seems that this disables the drivers or something. 

Tech support also has'nt been of much help.

They told me to update graphics drivers from the Windows 8 one to the Windows 8.1 available on the Acer website.

I'm using the Graphics Drivers version 13.152.0.0 which is available on the Acer Website.

These are the very same drivers that i Updated when the Tech Support people told me to.

And also, Booting up the Laptop is very slow, Slower than it was on Windows 8.                                                        

(Takes upto 2 MINUTES which is very ABSURD!)

Please Help me someone!! 

Dev Mehta

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi Dev

All the problems you're having are down to Windows 8.1! The first one is an error with the Microsoft DirectX graphics - usually an incorrect or corrupted driver. You can try to reinstall it again to see if it helps!

Due to big changes that Microsoft made in 8.1, not all hardware is compatible with it. I'd suggest to back up all your data & revert back to 8.0 from your recovery partition or media. This will solve your problems.

If you decide you want to try 8.1 again, I'd uninstall all graphics drivers before installing 8.1. Then reinstall the latest ones. This MAY help or may not, it's one of those "Try it and see" moments.

• thedevmehta
    thedevmehta Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks dude!

But how do i revert to Windows 8?? Should I head to a service center or something?

I'm Thinking of going to Windows 7 to stay away from all the *****! 

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

To revert back to Windows 8 (after backing up your files), press ALT & tap F10 as soon as you restart your computer. This will take you to the built in recovery program hidden on your hard drive.

You can, of course, "upgrade" to Windows 7, but it's not as straight forward as it should be. See here on how to do so. You can also check out Acer's support site for your region, to see if your laptop has available Windows 7 drivers.

This discussion has been closed.