SSD for Aspire 1640

joeyc100
joeyc100 Member Posts: 12 New User

Trying to install a Transcend 128GB SSD into an Acer Aspire 1640 laptop. Windows xp installation fails during first restart. Device has been partitioned and formatted and "written to" with the installation files, but will not boot upon first restart.

Also, an attempt to install MS-DOS from a floppy produces the same result: FDISK partitions the ssd as the C drive and format copies the system files after formatting. But it will not boot.

Any ideas?

Joey.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

Enter bios menu so that the new drive is properly recognized and check that it is first in the boot order. Save and exit.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• joeyc100

Drive is recognized by bios:both ID and serial number. Moving boot priority to first has no effect. Boot still fails.

Joey.

• JackE

What MS-DOS version did you try to install? If you can boot MS-DOS to the command prompt from a floppy, do so. At the command prompt enter "dir c:\ /ah" without the quotes. What hidden files are listed?

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• joeyc100

Thanks for your response,

I run MS-DOS v.6.22 from a floppy disk.

1. From the floppy using FDISK I partition the C: drive.

2. From the floppy using FORMAT C: /U/S I format the drive and add the system.

3. From the floppy I type DIR C:\ /AH

The results are--

IO.SYS

MSDOS.EXE

DRVSPACE.BIN

I remove the floppy and reboot.

The msg is--

NON-SYSTEM DISK OR DISK ERROR

REPLACE AND PRESS ANY KEY....

Apparently the boot sector can not be accessed correctly???

Joey.

• JackE

Do you recall the partition size when you used fdisk?  When you boot DOS from the floppy, what size C: drive does the "dir c:\" command report? You might try to use the "fdisk /mbr" switch from the floppy to repair the drive's boot record.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• joeyc100

FDISK offers the max dos size (2GB) and I take it.

DIR C: reports the correct size.

FDISK /MBR does not help.

After an XCOPY *.*  C: sends all of the skeleton MS-DOS files to the C: drive, those files that are executable will run from the C: drive.

But still no boot. I can only think of bios timing as a problem with the SSD. (or maybe the SSD has a problem to begin with).

Joey. 

• JackE

>>>Windows xp installation fails during first restart>>>

>>>I can only think of bios timing as a problem with the SSD. (or maybe the SSD has a problem to begin with).>>>

Joey

I think the SSD is fine with the bios and vice-versa. So back to the beginning. Precisely how does the XP installation fail during restart? What failure messages do you get, if any?

Thanks

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• joeyc100

During restart the screen msg is--

"Press any key to boot from CD.....Error loading operating system"

I've received an RMA and will send the unit back next week if no solution to the problem.

Thanks for all of your help.

Joey.

• JackE

OK Joey. Next, what size hard drive does the bios report?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• joeyc100

The bios (v. 3B04) does not report size. Just the HDD Model Name: TS128GPSD330 and its serial number on the INFO. page. The next page (MAIN) mentions nothing about the HDD. The BOOT page lists the order: floppy, cd/dvd, and TS128....

Joey.

• JackE

The SSD should be first in the boot order.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• joeyc100

The SSD need not be the first. If there is no floppy in the drive the process moves on to the cd/dvd drive, and that being empty, finally to the SSD. The bios knows where to go. That being said, I moved the SSD to the top of the order to try this: there was no change.

Putting the order back, I found a copy of Hiren's CD Boot. It booted, and among other things, allowed a "Mini Windows XP" to be installed.  Clicking on "System" and "Advanced" I was able to change the O/S boot order to MS-DOS first, then Windows, with the 28 second delay changed to 5 seconds. Removing the CD, I restarted and the screen showed the choices as ordered, and after 5 seconds attempted to boot MS-DOS. The msg read "Non-system disk or disk error".

The boot sector had to have been read! But there is something still wrong!?!?

Joey.

• JackE

Which fdisk version did you use to partition the SSD? Did you FAT32?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• joeyc100

FDISK v.6 which comes with MS-DOS 6.22. It is FAT16.

I have had and used this O/S for over 25 years now on this floppy disk. I have and continue to install MS-DOS on all my computers in the first 2GB of any lead drive, followed by Windows 2000/XP/7 over the years.

But this has nothing to do with the boot failure. I wiped the SSD and tried to setup Windows XP in the first 16GB (trying both FAT32 and NTFS) with no MS-DOS. Again the "disk error" msg upon the first restart.

Trying to debug the problem using MS-DOS from a floppy is faster than waiting for the first restart of Windows setup.

Joey.

• JackE

Have you tried to check the SSD for problems from some kind of a checker on the floppy or DVD?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• joeyc100

Here is the latest....

As I was installing XP one more time, upon the first restart disk error I just powered down the laptop by hand in annoyance. After a while I powered it back up to try Hiren's disk again, and XP came up(!!) looking for the CD. So I inserted the CD and XP finished installing(!!). So I powered the unit down by hand again, waited a few seconds and powered it up. XP ran fine, asking for all of the usual initial info. I tried to restart from the start button and got a disk error.

In summary: XP (or anything) boots from a power up, but not from a restart.

I checked Amazon (my source) for reviews and saw nothing. I checked Newegg for reviews and found one user had boot problems.

The drive is going back.

Thanks for all of your help Jack E/NJ.

Joey.

• JackE

>>>In summary: XP (or anything) boots from a power up, but not from a restart.>>>

So you're saying that a cold boot works but a warm boot doesn't? Same with DOS? This sounds vaguely familiar to me during my Win98SE or even Win95 installation days. Give me some time to recall how it was resolved. Thanks.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Joey

Just recalled as I was about to go out the door. Check to see if the SSD has been defaulted to be a slave---probably software controlled these days as opposed to a jumper.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• joeyc100

Jumpered to be a master.

Joey.

• JackE

Still using jumpers, eh? Well, then, have you tried jumpering the "alleged" master to be the "alleged" slave just in case anything unexpectedly good happens? 8^) Could be mislabeled.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.