Restore failed - Error code=0x241

squarephreak
squarephreak Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I'm trying to fix my friend's Acer Aspire 5552-7803 and ended up having to order a set of Recovery discs for $20. The problem is that when I try running the Restore to factory default option, it loads through the first two recovery discs, then on the third, I get an error message that says "Restore failed - Error code=0x241 (WIMApplyImage cannot apply image : Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be..." The rest is obscured by the box and you can't scroll to read it.

I've read several posts that say they had the same problem, but have yet to find an actual solution. I've completely wiped the drive and done a "Clean" on diskpart with a Win7 repair disc. It's possible that the drive is damaged, but with the accounts that I've seen, I'd hate to buy a new drive and then find out that the drive wasn't really the problem.

I could really use some suggestions. Please help.

Thanks

Best Answer

• squarephreak

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

I think that I finally found the problem. I tried installing a Windows 8 evaluation copy and got a slightly different, but similar error message and googled it. The first instance of the problem that I found had a solution saying that the guy discovered he had a bad memory stick. I removed one and retried the recovery discs and it still failed. I swapped the memory stick and tried again, and I'm currently almost finished with the entire reload. I think this was the problem, and am hopeful that we're back in business... Now to shop for memory.

Answers

• squarephreak

Tinkerer

Tried a fresh diskpart using "clean" then "cre par pri" and then retried the default image restore and it got to about 3% of the actual install (after the three discs of copying) before failing with the following error:

"Restore failed - Error code=0x570 (WIMApplyImage cannot apply image : The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.)"

Still needing ideas or a solution. My only remaining thoughts are that either there's a problem with the HDD (which I honestly don't believe) or that there's a problem with the recovery media (which other people with this problem have suggested). I'd love to get some suggestions from an actual Acer support person. I can't believe that the forums are the only form of free support after the warranty expires. That's poor customer service, if you ask me.

Thanks again for any suggestions, guys.

• squarephreak

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

I think that I finally found the problem. I tried installing a Windows 8 evaluation copy and got a slightly different, but similar error message and googled it. The first instance of the problem that I found had a solution saying that the guy discovered he had a bad memory stick. I removed one and retried the recovery discs and it still failed. I swapped the memory stick and tried again, and I'm currently almost finished with the entire reload. I think this was the problem, and am hopeful that we're back in business... Now to shop for memory.

• jmkersh
    jmkersh Member Posts: 1 New User

I am also working on this same problem on my dad's laptop.  I ordered the restore cds and still receive the same message.  I wiped the drive and continued to get the same error msg on the 3rd part of the restore set.  I even purchased a new drive and it failed on the 3rd try.  

Were you able to identify the issue?  Was it the memory?

• squarephreak

Tinkerer

Yes. It was the memory. It is currently running on half the memory, until the friend that I fixed it for can afford to upgrade. Try removing one stick and restoring again and see what happens. If you still get the error message, then swap the remaining stick for the removed one and try again. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.
  • mike0318
    mike0318 Member Posts: 1 New User

SQUAREPHREAK says the truth i had the same problem and removed one memory and recovery worked.thx to him.but can i put my memory stick back and would it still work?

• squarephreak

Tinkerer

It might, but I'd suggest buying a replacement stick. Odds are that there's a problem with the stick. It may be what caused the problem that required the restore in the first place. Just my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.