Topic

sburks5555
Accepted Solution

Recover disks freeze at Office 2010

I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook SNID 20206697434 with Windows 7. I bought the recovery disks because eRecovery stalls at Office 2010 but the disks do exactly the same thing - wasted $$. I'm a Sr Citizen & not very saavy but can someone help me with step by step instructions? I can only open in Safe Mode. thank you for any help. I've tried many times with the same result. Even though I bought the disks, Acer Customer Service won't let me talk to a tech because my net book is not unwarranty - mfg date is 1/14/2012.
Acer Technician
Acer-Cory

Re: Recover disks freeze at Office 2010

If you're still at the screen looking to load Office 2010, hit Alt+Home keys. This should minimize that window and show you if there are any popups behind it that need attention.

Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information.  Use the kudos-thumbs-up.png Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.

Regular Visitor
jspinner

I'm having this exact same issue for a couple days now. When I look to see what else is running all I have is the OOBE app, which I've clicked ok on and it immediately reboots and on next boot runs the first time setup. After that's done it continues to the Software Installation screen where the bar is stuck in the same place Installing Office 2010...

I'm going to start the recovery process again (6th time) and try just closing the OOBE application and see if that'll let the Software Installtion to continue.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thank you

Acer Technician
Acer-Cory

@jspinner

Can you tell me what model you have? Also, could you Private Message me with your Serial Number? I'll have our team take a closer look.

Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information.  Use the kudos-thumbs-up.png Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.

Regular Visitor
jspinner

This is model 5733-6426

I will PM you the serial number, it's only a month or so old.

This time around I simply cancled the backgroup OOBE app that was running and let the Software Installation continue, but it still doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Still hanging at Installing Office 2010

Thanks for the help!

Acer Technician
Acer-Cory

Thanks, I have your SN and I'm asking some questions internally.

I understand you just purchased yours, but the AS5733 has been around for nearly 16 months. If there was a specific issue with the recovery media, we'd know that based on the number of media who's sent to customers in this time frame. I might suggest contacting your support team and asking them to send you a replacement HDD just to rule that out. Here's a video on the generic process of replacing a HDD if it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_doHytCebyM

Regular Visitor
jspinner

[ Edited ]

I was hesitant to exchange the disk out, I had run a thorough scan on it after the crash without finding any issue.

What I tried I had found on another thread found here: http://community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/stuck-on-system-restore-installing-office-2010/td-...

What I tried was:

1. Boot up to a linux CD (Although booting to anything that allowed you access to some kind of fdisk utility should be enough)

2. Delete the two partitions leaving the first recovery partition alone

3. Start recovery process again

This time it went right through the Software Installation process and into the OOBE setup without a hiccup. I can only assume that there's some log on the recovery partition that is getting hung up, perhaps just changing the OS partition label would do it but I'm not going to tempt fate.

Thanks for your help Cory, hope this helps others get past this.

Acer Technician
Acer-Cory

Thanks a lot for sharing, and great catch! Ya, it sounds like it's loading to the wrong partition and maybe space is the issue or something? I'll forward this over to our software team.

sburks5555

Nothing is showing that is running in the background.

sburks5555

I am the original poster of this question.I have tried many times to load the new disks & it always freezes at Office 2010.  I called Customer Service and they sent me a new set, but it does the same thing. 

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Please take a moment to review the latest Community News article to learn about new changes to your community membership.

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: