Recover disks freeze at Office 2010

sburks5555
sburks5555 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives
I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook SNID 20206697434 with Windows 7. I bought the recovery disks because eRecovery stalls at Office 2010 but the disks do exactly the same thing - wasted $$. I'm a Sr Citizen & not very saavy but can someone help me with step by step instructions? I can only open in Safe Mode. thank you for any help. I've tried many times with the same result. Even though I bought the disks, Acer Customer Service won't let me talk to a tech because my net book is not unwarranty - mfg date is 1/14/2012.

Best Answer

• jspinner
    jspinner Member Posts: 4 New User
    Answer ✓

I was hesitant to exchange the disk out, I had run a thorough scan on it after the crash without finding any issue.

What I tried I had found on another thread found here: http://community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/stuck-on-system-restore-installing-office-2010/td-p/148777

What I tried was:

1. Boot up to a linux CD (Although booting to anything that allowed you access to some kind of fdisk utility should be enough)

2. Delete the two partitions leaving the first recovery partition alone

3. Start recovery process again

This time it went right through the Software Installation process and into the OOBE setup without a hiccup. I can only assume that there's some log on the recovery partition that is getting hung up, perhaps just changing the OS partition label would do it but I'm not going to tempt fate.

Thanks for your help Cory, hope this helps others get past this.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

If you're still at the screen looking to load Office 2010, hit Alt+Home keys. This should minimize that window and show you if there are any popups behind it that need attention.

• jspinner

I'm having this exact same issue for a couple days now. When I look to see what else is running all I have is the OOBE app, which I've clicked ok on and it immediately reboots and on next boot runs the first time setup. After that's done it continues to the Software Installation screen where the bar is stuck in the same place Installing Office 2010...

I'm going to start the recovery process again (6th time) and try just closing the OOBE application and see if that'll let the Software Installtion to continue.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thank you

• Cory-Acer

@jspinner

Can you tell me what model you have? Also, could you Private Message me with your Serial Number? I'll have our team take a closer look.

• jspinner

This is model 5733-6426

I will PM you the serial number, it's only a month or so old.

This time around I simply cancled the backgroup OOBE app that was running and let the Software Installation continue, but it still doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Still hanging at Installing Office 2010

Thanks for the help!

• Cory-Acer

Thanks, I have your SN and I'm asking some questions internally.

I understand you just purchased yours, but the AS5733 has been around for nearly 16 months. If there was a specific issue with the recovery media, we'd know that based on the number of media who's sent to customers in this time frame. I might suggest contacting your support team and asking them to send you a replacement HDD just to rule that out. Here's a video on the generic process of replacing a HDD if it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_doHytCebyM

• jspinner
    Answer ✓

I was hesitant to exchange the disk out, I had run a thorough scan on it after the crash without finding any issue.

What I tried I had found on another thread found here: http://community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/stuck-on-system-restore-installing-office-2010/td-p/148777

What I tried was:

1. Boot up to a linux CD (Although booting to anything that allowed you access to some kind of fdisk utility should be enough)

2. Delete the two partitions leaving the first recovery partition alone

3. Start recovery process again

This time it went right through the Software Installation process and into the OOBE setup without a hiccup. I can only assume that there's some log on the recovery partition that is getting hung up, perhaps just changing the OS partition label would do it but I'm not going to tempt fate.

Thanks for your help Cory, hope this helps others get past this.

• Cory-Acer

Thanks a lot for sharing, and great catch! Ya, it sounds like it's loading to the wrong partition and maybe space is the issue or something? I'll forward this over to our software team.

• sburks5555

Nothing is showing that is running in the background.

• sburks5555

I am the original poster of this question.I have tried many times to load the new disks & it always freezes at Office 2010.  I called Customer Service and they sent me a new set, but it does the same thing. 

• Cory-Acer

I'm going to send a private message, I'd like to get your Serial NUmber so I know a bit more.

• beachcrest
    beachcrest Member Posts: 4 New User

I'm having the same problem, too

• warfrat
    warfrat Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm having the exact sanme problem with my acer aspire 5552-3691. I bought the recovery disks from acer and when all is siad and done it just stalls on installing office 2010. It was a trial version, if I remember correctly, but the recovery should take care of it.

SO, what is the solution? 

• beachcrest

thanks for introducing me to "ALT + Home".  While it didn't solve the problem of the installation stall, it did allow me to carry on and use my Acer laptop.

• Cory-Acer

warfrat wrote:

I'm having the exact sanme problem with my acer aspire 5552-3691. I bought the recovery disks from acer and when all is siad and done it just stalls on installing office 2010. It was a trial version, if I remember correctly, but the recovery should take care of it.

SO, what is the solution? 

We have a customers unit in the hands of our software team now. They've replicated the issue, and I'm working with them to figure out a solution that is easiest for everyone to do. The HDD of our sample unit here for testing is fine, however, write protection and other features are preventing it from reloading completely. We were able to clone the drive, remove the partitions and reload completely.

Again, I hope to have a more detailed solution as soon as possible.

• beachcrest

with thanks to Acer Cory who put me on to using "Alt+Home" keys, you should be able to view a "normal" home page and move on from there.  Personally, I think Microsoft (which now charges for Office 2010) won't allow that portion of the recovery disks to load, thereby forcing you to lease its product.  I found a very acceptable alternative in Apache Open Office. 

• Cory-Acer

Just to clear up, this in no way has anything to do with Microsoft. They aren't blocking this, and they can't possibly be blocking the installation. They would only be able to block the registration of the license to use the application, and that would be through the internet or over the phone.

Please review some of the eariler posts, jspinner and others have been able to remove the partitions, restarting the recovery process to fix this issue. I've asked our team to see if we can understand why this is happening in the first place, and is there an easier solution. I'm hoping to get that soon.

• Cory-Acer

Our software team has come back after reviewing the unit ws brought into our repair facility. At this time, the fix is to go in and delete the partitions and use the recovery media to reinstall the OS completely.

I would suggest reviewing jspinner's instructions here on how to accomplish these steps: http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Recover-disks-freeze-at-Office-2010/m-p/222329#M36477

• sburks5555

THANK YOU SO MUCH to the Acer team who worked on my computer & fixed the problem! I would never have been able to do all of the technical things to repair it (delete partitions). I don't know what they had to do to fix it, but it is PERFECT now. I just can't thank you enough. I recommend raises for all of you!!  Cat Very Happy

• mgmsr29
    mgmsr29 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello community,

I had this same problem on my sister in-laws Acer. I found this post which proved to be a fix but I was annoyed at the prospect of deleting partitions etc. So I opened the AlaunchX folder to see if i could find a work around from the configuration settings.

I am just a shade tree computer guy. Graduated highschool is as far as my education goes. Taught myself how to work on PC's so anyone can do what I did to get the recovery to finish. It worked for me anyway. ok here is what I did:

1. pushed Alt+home

2. ctrl+alt+delete to open task manager

3. in task manager only AlaunchX was running so I selected the process tab then right clicked the AlaunchX process and a popup comes up.

4. select open file location with the file open I scrolled down to UserAlaunchX it is a (configuration settings text document)

5. double click the  UserAlaunchX you will see a listing of how and what order AlaunchX installs recovery items.

6. my install was stuck on number 18/38 so i scrolled down until I found action 18.

[Action18]
    Module=MOD01A00DDEN0G0003
    Path=c:\oem\preload\office2010
    Type=APP
    Reboot=
    Delete=True
    InstallPriority=500

changes I made

Module=MOD01A00EN0G0003

7. keep in mind I was not sure if this was going to work but I compared the lines above to the previous actions listing and noticed that compared to the previous action the office2010 string had a DD before the EN on the module line. The previous actions only had a EU not 4 letters. So I thought I would just delete the DD save the changes and reboot the computer just to see what would happen. I could always put the DD back in the line if it didnt do anything. Low and behold the computer went on to 19/38 and finished the recovery. My mindset was just to at least skip the office install and get the recovery done. As of this moment it boots up fine and as far as I can tell running good. Hope this helps someone.

seems like alot but I was trying to not miss any steps.

• satman
    satman Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey, mgmsr29, that worked great for me. I'm pretty sure it skipped the Office install, but this allows it to proceed and load all the other software. If anyone on here wants a simpler way to recover without deleting partitions, this does work. Pretty good for a shade tree computer guy. Thanks.