R7: why do Acer Touch Tools need admin rights? (UAC)

AcerForumer
AcerForumer Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Hi,

I love my R7-572 and the few but useful tools Acer provide with it. Yet, there is something thatis annoying:

The Acer TouchTools (the tool which provides tools to ease touchscreen usage, like AccuFinger, multi-selection and esc key) requires administrator right to launch. As I'm a good guy and don't my pc with admin rights, each time I launch Touch Tools, it triggers UAC and I need to enter my password.

Not practical at all. Any idea about how to avoid this? Could the Acer staff recompile the Touch Tools without the need of admin rights?

Regards

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Unlikely, as direct hardware access requires superuser permissions. Your options are basically lessen your UAC security level, or use an application like UAC Trust Shortcut 1.0

It adds an icon to your system tray and you can use it to create shortcuts to run elevated applications without passing through the UAC prompt. Assuming you created one of the shortcuts you could replace the autorun file with the shortcut you created and it would autoload / bypass the UAC prompt, or you could just run it yourself.

• AcerForumer
    AcerForumer Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Thanks Scotty. Useful article.
This discussion has been closed.