Question about warranty

nokturne
nokturne Member Posts: 2 New User

Today i just bought a Gateway NE511 laptop, its getting slower just withing the next 3 hours after the purchase, I was wondering if opening the back of the laptop in order to replace the RAM module with a bigger one, will make me avoid the warranty

Best Answer

• BearPaw
    BearPaw Member Posts: 69 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

You are allowed to upgrade the ram , but be aware that if you have to send in your unit for warranty service and a technician determines that the third party component is at fault you may be charged for repair service. Of course they would contact you about any charges before proceeding to attempt the repairs I would imagine. 

Also, did you try stripping your new unit of all the junk before determining the cause of the slowness? 

Answers

• BearPaw
    Answer ✓

You are allowed to upgrade the ram , but be aware that if you have to send in your unit for warranty service and a technician determines that the third party component is at fault you may be charged for repair service. Of course they would contact you about any charges before proceeding to attempt the repairs I would imagine. 

Also, did you try stripping your new unit of all the junk before determining the cause of the slowness? 

• nokturne
    nokturne Member Posts: 2 New User

It's just that some of the applications that I work with consumes huge amounts of RAM, so that's why I was wondering about changing that module. But well, thanks a lot for your reply, I will consider it Smiley Very Happy

• BearPaw

Acer I'm sure offers memory modules and upgrade services, best to find out about them, send your unit to their factory to do it , and it would be warranted since its their own parts.

This discussion has been closed.