Overheat, always wifi on, too much slow boot

athalsten
athalsten Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi I got a gift acre 5742. Its aprox 2 year old. Now when I used it, it was too much hot. I use openhardwer and found it was 80 c. then i opened it and clean the vantilation and apply more tharmal past on prosesor. now it was 60 some time goes highest goes 84.is this ok. what is the normal temp?

when i got this laptop i noticed that the wify is always on. i switch it off but when ever i restarted it turn on automaticly. i reinstall the driver but this always happend. now what should i do?

my boot time is too much slow. it takes 4 mint to open. i use the restore and wipe data but it still the problem remains.

plz help any oneCat Sad

Best Answer

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓

If I have the right processor, Core i5 480m, then Intel state a maximum die temperature of 105°C.

A post I saw stated: "... it seems to max at 95°C (average) at 100% load. I called intel and they said as long as the temperature is below 105°C, it's perfectly fine."

It would appear that your temperatures are well within spec.

To disable Wi-Fi, pess Windows key + X.

Windows Mobility Center will open - click 'Turn wireless off'.

This will stay in effect until you turn it back on (even if you reboot or switch off your laptop).

Answers

• Alan-London
    Answer ✓

If I have the right processor, Core i5 480m, then Intel state a maximum die temperature of 105°C.

A post I saw stated: "... it seems to max at 95°C (average) at 100% load. I called intel and they said as long as the temperature is below 105°C, it's perfectly fine."

It would appear that your temperatures are well within spec.

To disable Wi-Fi, pess Windows key + X.

Windows Mobility Center will open - click 'Turn wireless off'.

This will stay in effect until you turn it back on (even if you reboot or switch off your laptop).

• DukenD
    DukenD Member Posts: 5 New User

Not sure on your level of expertise, though you appear to know quite a bit on the hardware side, so I'm gonna start with some basics on the software side.

Was 80 Celsius the temperature reading on your CPU, GPU, or chassis internal, and was it on idle (0-5% CPU activity)? In any case, seems the ventilation cleanup and additional thermal paste did some good. 60 Celsius at idle is still a bit too hot though... I'd personally be looking for around 40s to mid 50s (also depends on the weather/season or whether there's airconditioning). In case you didn't know, avoid putting your laptop on sofas, beds, or anything that may block the vents or leave a very small space on them. If 84 Celsius happens when you're doing something like playing a 3D game, running a virus scan, or encoding/converting video, then that's still acceptable.

If your CPU activity is above 5-10% even when you're not doing anything, then perhaps some background apps are running and ratcheting it up, and thus, causing raised temperatures. It certainly would coincide with your really long boot times, which are likely caused by a number of background apps launching right on startup. In any case, removing some bloatware (software you don't really need) should help remove some or all of those undesired background apps. If you don't have the know-how, here is a basic guide.

Additionally, there may be background apps you actually use, but don't need right on system startup. Among those apps are instant messengers like Yahoo, MSN, or Skype. Simply disable them from autostarting (basic guide here) instead of uninstalling, launch them only as needed, then properly terminate them when finished using. That should further help reducing boot times.

As a rule of thumb, if you don't need an app and nothing else is depending on it for normal operation, uninstall it. If unsure, leave it be until after you've investigated it.

Need clarifications? Done with the tips and still left with the problem? Just let us know.

PS: What is your OS and antivirus (if present)?

• athalsten

thanks man, mine is core i3 380m, wht about it?

and turn off in the mobility center now i will watching. inform about the result later. thanks

• athalsten

DukenD wrote:

Not sure on your level of expertise, though you appear to know quite a bit on the hardware side, so I'm gonna start with some basics on the software side.

Was 80 Celsius the temperature reading on your CPU, GPU, or chassis internal, and was it on idle (0-5% CPU activity)? In any case, seems the ventilation cleanup and additional thermal paste did some good. 60 Celsius at idle is still a bit too hot though... I'd personally be looking for around 40s to mid 50s (also depends on the weather/season or whether there's airconditioning). In case you didn't know, avoid putting your laptop on sofas, beds, or anything that may block the vents or leave a very small space on them. If 84 Celsius happens when you're doing something like playing a 3D game, running a virus scan, or encoding/converting video, then that's still acceptable.

If your CPU activity is above 5-10% even when you're not doing anything, then perhaps some background apps are running and ratcheting it up, and thus, causing raised temperatures. It certainly would coincide with your really long boot times, which are likely caused by a number of background apps launching right on startup. In any case, removing some bloatware (software you don't really need) should help remove some or all of those undesired background apps. If you don't have the know-how, here is a basic guide.

Additionally, there may be background apps you actually use, but don't need right on system startup. Among those apps are instant messengers like Yahoo, MSN, or Skype. Simply disable them from autostarting (basic guide here) instead of uninstalling, launch them only as needed, then properly terminate them when finished using. That should further help reducing boot times.

As a rule of thumb, if you don't need an app and nothing else is depending on it for normal operation, uninstall it. If unsure, leave it be until after you've investigated it.

Need clarifications? Done with the tips and still left with the problem? Just let us know.

PS: What is your OS and antivirus (if present)?

Thanks bro for the details am an average intelligent Smiley Wink. I will try to never use in sofa or that kind off place. Notebook worked fine in UK. Now I am in Bangladesh. When the temp goes to 83 its auto closed ( not shutting down). After I clean it now its fine no crash. It cleaned 18 hour ago. Now its between 55-65 when idle use. Virus scan times temp 70c.and when 100% CPU use its goes 85c. But no more crash still now. I am useing portable version of skypee. All the large program are disabled by tune up utility. But there are adobe photoshop cs6 and illustrator both are 64 bit. When I tried disable it I can't find it. Then I go to the control panel- program and features to uninstall it but I can't find photoshop and illustrator cs 6 uninstall option. But I can still find it program files and can using it. I think that programs slowing down booting.

Mine is

Operating System--------- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

OS S Pack -----------S Pack 1

CPU Type-------------------- Mobile DualCore Intel Core i3-380M, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)

Motherboard Name -------Acer Aspire 5742

Motherboard Chipset----- Intel Ibex Peak-M HM55,Intel Ironlake-M

System Memory------------- 3766 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM) DIMM3: Nanya NT4GC64B8HB0NS-CG 4 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3

Bitdefender Total Security 2013 16.29.0.1830

Temperatures: CPU #1 / Core #1 65 °C (149 °F) CPU #1 / Core #2 63 °C (145 °F)

• Alan-London

Ok.

Intel state maximum die temperature for i3-380M is 90°C for rPGA, 105°C for BGA.

rPGA is conventional socket.

BGA is Ball Grid Array (A type of surface mount).

So, your temperature still seems fine.

• DukenD
    DukenD Member Posts: 5 New User

Thanks for the feedback, athalsten.

If using your laptop while you're on a bed becomes necessary, you can use a bed tray to place your laptop on or a laptop cooler.

If both are unavailable, you can improvise by placing your laptop over something that will still allow air to flow through the vents under the laptop. Here's what I use, a dish rack that's no longer used:

Dish Rack

As ridiculous as it may sound, no, I'm not joking. It works very well in keeping my laptop cool while I'm using it on my bed. Smiley Tongue

Before I move on to providing you more suggestions, I need to get some things clarified:

1. Have you already tried uninstalling applications you're sure you don't need/use? If yes, what were the applications you uninstalled?
    2. Have you already tried disabling some startup applications using msconfig? If yes, what were the startup applications you disabled?
    3. If you've tried doing #1 and #2, have you noticed a reduction/improvement in boot time? Approximately how long is the boot time now?
    4. Do you need/use Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator CS6? If yes, then you don't have to uninstall them.
    5. You mentioned you use a "tune-up utility". What tune-up utility is it?
    6. What is the CPU activity % seen on Task Manager when you don't have running applications?

NOTE:

Regarding your antivirus software, please take note that while Bitdefender Total Security 2013 is acclaimed as one of the most effective antivirus software, it is also said to cause significantly increased boot times to some users. This is based on many user comments I've read from various sources on the internet, as well as from personal experience. I've tried Bitdefender Total Security 2013 on my older Asus k43sv (Core i5 variant with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1) laptop last year for about 2 weeks and noticed a significant increase on my boot times. I started finding it unbearable and a bit too heavy on my mere 2Gb RAM so I reverted back to the free, but satisfactorily effective and light-weight Microsoft Security Essentials.

You thus have the choice of keeping Bitdefender and having great protection but long boot times, or trying another antivirus with a trial then deciding whether it's worth switching to or not.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• athalsten

Alan-London wrote:

Ok.

Intel state maximum die temperature for i3-380M is 90°C for rPGA, 105°C for BGA.

rPGA is conventional socket.

BGA is Ball Grid Array (A type of surface mount).

So, your temperature still seems fine.

mine was rPGA or BGA?

and the wify is permantly turned of i cant turn on with fn+F3. its seems fine but  is any other way to just disbled it with just fn+F3.aand when i want to turn on just fn+F3. may be its a bug. any idea about fix it. but thnks for the solution. its ok too

• athalsten

DukenD wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, athalsten.

If using your laptop while you're on a bed becomes necessary, you can use a bed tray to place your laptop on or a laptop cooler.

If both are unavailable, you can improvise by placing your laptop over something that will still allow air to flow through the vents under the laptop. Here's what I use, a dish rack that's no longer used:

Dish Rack

As ridiculous as it may sound, no, I'm not joking. It works very well in keeping my laptop cool while I'm using it on my bed. Smiley Tongue

Before I move on to providing you more suggestions, I need to get some things clarified:

1. Have you already tried uninstalling applications you're sure you don't need/use? If yes, what were the applications you uninstalled?
    2. Have you already tried disabling some startup applications using msconfig? If yes, what were the startup applications you disabled?
    3. If you've tried doing #1 and #2, have you noticed a reduction/improvement in boot time? Approximately how long is the boot time now?
    4. Do you need/use Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator CS6? If yes, then you don't have to uninstall them.
    5. You mentioned you use a "tune-up utility". What tune-up utility is it?
    6. What is the CPU activity % seen on Task Manager when you don't have running applications?

NOTE:

Regarding your antivirus software, please take note that while Bitdefender Total Security 2013 is acclaimed as one of the most effective antivirus software, it is also said to cause significantly increased boot times to some users. This is based on many user comments I've read from various sources on the internet, as well as from personal experience. I've tried Bitdefender Total Security 2013 on my older Asus k43sv (Core i5 variant with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1) laptop last year for about 2 weeks and noticed a significant increase on my boot times. I started finding it unbearable and a bit too heavy on my mere 2Gb RAM so I reverted back to the free, but satisfactorily effective and light-weight Microsoft Security Essentials.

You thus have the choice of keeping Bitdefender and having great protection but long boot times, or trying another antivirus with a trial then deciding whether it's worth switching to or not.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

HAHAHA soon i am buying a laptop cooler. its so cheap in bangladesh.thanks

1. i had a custom made dektop also so i install a littile software in my notebook.

2. here is a look which was disbled Capture.JPG

3. may be some improvement . its now 3 min.

4. i want to uninstall ilastrator cs6. but could not find the options.

5. have look  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TuneUp_Utilities

6. the activty is 5-10%. and temp is 58-65 c.

you may be right. the bitdefender maybe slowing my notebook. but i have still 340 days left.  so if i am gone find to the refund then i will switch to MSE. thanks. although now its fine. thanks for the help

• Alan-London

I don't have a service guide for your model so I cannot tell you which i3 version you have. If you assume the lower temp version then at 85°C you are still within working range.

However, being in a location with high ambient temperature, you may have to supplement cooling on occassion.

I don't believe FN + F3 can be configured to withstand reboot or power cycle. I don't think it's a bug.

This discussion has been closed.