No Active Pen on Aspire R7-572-6423

ucsblaw
ucsblaw Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm a bit peeved at the moment...the R7 572-6423 doesn't look like it supports an Active Pen/Stylus (USA version)

Apparently there's a different model called the Acer Aspire "572G" that includes Active Pen support and also comes with a discrete graphics card (available in Singapore)

I'm deperately looking for a solid notebook hybrid with active pen support and I thought the R7 would be perfect until I realized the US version is missing the one thing that I actually needed. 

Can anyone else confirm this? Am I SOL on the R7-572-6423? Does anyone know if we'll get the 572G here in the US?

Thanks

Answers

• Snipe3000
    Snipe3000 Member Posts: 1 New User

They may have changed their minds about selling it to the US, I was waiting for this too, but I might have to go with the new thinkpad yoga if I don't hear anything from ACER in the next week.

• shtimseht
    shtimseht Member Posts: 2 New User
    From what I understand the R7-572 supports pen input. It just doesn't come with one in the box. That's $49 more at BB.
  • surfaceproartis
    surfaceproartis Member Posts: 11 New User

I'm on the R7-572-6423 right now and it definitely supports a pen; it just doesn't ship with one in the box. Save yourself $10 and buy the Sony Active Pen, which is compatible.

• surfaceproartis

Coincidentally, I just got a discount offer on the Acer R7-572 stylus in this morning's email. Use R7STYLUS10FS for 10% off.

• mitchellvii
    mitchellvii Member Posts: 7 New User

Even an old first gen N-trig like the one which worked with the HTC View tablet works perfectly with the R7.  Two buttons, pressure sensitive.  Not sure what the new ones offer that is different?  Perhaps better palm rejection?  That works fine on the old one too.  Who knows?

Does the Acer pen offer any sepecial hardware or drivers the Sony version does not?

• surfaceproartis

I don't think there's anything different in the pens themselves. I believe the N-Trig digitizer technology and/or drivers have been improved. The pen just works out of the box. There are no additional drivers that come with the pen.

The Acer driver site doesn't have any pen driver downloads either. http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• bkuhn
    bkuhn Member Posts: 3 New User

I just got the active stylus for my 572.

It seems to work as a basic pen in OneNote, Paint,  and Acers screen capture utility.

What do I need to do to make the applications recognize pressure changes on the pen? Is there something I need to configure or am I just using the wrong apps..?

• me23
    me23 Member Posts: 1 New User

Frustration is the topic of the day. after spending $50 for the for the Active Stylus R7-572, I can get it to work. I see there is a full 4/a 1.5 volt battery that was supplied with the unit, yet no connection to my touch screen, yet. Maybe it's missing a driver, or I just don't know how to work with it. I do see there is current coming out of the business end of it.

• bkuhn

I've pretty much given up on the active stylus as a waste of money. Nothing seems to recognize it as anything other than a plain old stylus, and there is no documentation at all on how it should work or be used.

Live and learn (and waste $50).

• greg1
    greg1 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

me23 wrote:

Frustration is the topic of the day. after spending $50 for the for the Active Stylus R7-572, I can get it to work. I see there is a full 4/a 1.5 volt battery that was supplied with the unit, yet no connection to my touch screen, yet. Maybe it's missing a driver, or I just don't know how to work with it. I do see there is current coming out of the business end of it.

Try configuring the display for Touch and Pen input.

Desktop > Control Panel > Tablet PC Settings

In the section that says 'Configure your pen and touch displays', click the Setup button.

On the next window ('Identify pen or touch input screens'), choose Pen Input.

Touch the pen to the display as instructed.

• greg1

Tinkerer

bkuhn wrote:

I've pretty much given up on the active stylus as a waste of money. Nothing seems to recognize it as anything other than a plain old stylus, and there is no documentation at all on how it should work or be used.

Not all applications use pressure sensitivity, and some applications that do may only use it for certain things.  Here is one way to check your stylus pressure.

From the desktop run Windows Journal.

Click the Pen dropdown and select Marker (2mm).

On the Tools menu select Options.

On the Note Format tab click the Pen Settings button.

On the Pen Settings tab, Marker should be selected in the list of Current Pens.  If not, select it.

Click the Pressure sensitive checkbox on.

Click OK buttons twice to return to the open note.

Draw with the marker.  The width of the stroke should vary with the pen pressure.

• bkuhn

greg1 wrote:

bkuhn wrote:

Not all applications use pressure sensitivity, and some applications that do may only use it for certain things.  Here is one way to check your stylus pressure.

From the desktop run Windows Journal.

Click the Pen dropdown and select Marker (2mm).

On the Tools menu select Options.

On the Note Format tab click the Pen Settings button.

On the Pen Settings tab, Marker should be selected in the list of Current Pens.  If not, select it.

Click the Pressure sensitive checkbox on.

Click OK buttons twice to return to the open note.

Draw with the marker.  The width of the stroke should vary with the pen pressure.

that works! I had to select the "pressure sensitive" checkbox under pen options, and it seems to work well with the journal.

thanks!

Now, what else does it work with?

• greg1

Tinkerer

thanks!

You're welcome!

Now, what else does it work with?

Well, as far as applications installed by default with Windows, not any that I can think of.  Paint does not.

Free apps in the Windows app store, I have not looked at many.  Definitely OneNote, Fresh Paint and Sketchbook Express.

Desktop applications that you can purchase, the list is extensive.  Microsoft Office applications (OneNote, Word, etc.) support pressure sensitivity in their inking functions.  You can get trial versions of some art applications.  Sketchbook Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Manga Studio/Clip Studio Paint, Corel Painter, ArtRage, ZBrush.  There are many more.

Freeware/shareware desktop applications, there are some that do.  SmoothDraw, MyPaint, FireAlpaca, InkSeine, Inkscape, Gimp.

A few of these (notably Photoshop) require WinTab driver support for pressure sensitivity and that has been a problem for devices that use N-Trig digitizer and stylus technology... including the R7.

• Dreamer53
    Dreamer53 Member Posts: 1 New User

This message is for Surfaceproartis - I just wanted to thank you for the 10% off discount you mention in your post. I don't know where else to find the right pen for my Acer Aspire R7-572 convertible. I just happened on your post (I read them all) & saw yours. It may not be a big deal, but even $5 off is better than nothing. So again, Thanks.

• surfaceproartis

My pleasure! Please visit my blog for more Windows 8 art tips. SurfaceProArtist.com 

Look forward to seeing what you create on your R7!

• FenderGuy
    FenderGuy Member Posts: 33 Die Hard WiFi Icon

I am thinking of getting a R7 for the pen, do you know if it works in Adobe Acrobat to sign documents in PDF? I use to work for Samsung and the Note worked for this purpose, but the Note tablet had limits and I would prefer to get a laptop with the ability to turn into a tablet.

• surfaceproartis

Yes all Tablet PCs work great with Adobe Acrobat.

• FenderGuy
    FenderGuy Member Posts: 33 Die Hard WiFi Icon

I just realized that the model I want to get is the R13 and not the R7, I assume Acer still has the same pen features as the R7 correct?