Need recovery media for an Acer 1410 - any suggestions - not available on erecovery

Options
robertt202
robertt202 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi guys - the title pretty much says it all. Need to recovery the software and when I enter the SNIC erecovery says that media isn't available.

Best Answer

Answers

• Tabbiekatz
    Tabbiekatz Member Posts: 760 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Call the number on the bottom of the web page. Just because it is not available online does not mean it is not available.

• robertt202
    robertt202 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options

thanks for the heads up.

• frustrationmax
    frustrationmax Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

Which web page shows telephone numbers that I can call? I have exactly the same problem as the original poster, just opened a brand new Acer Aspire, entered the SNID on the website and it responds "No RCD available for the entered Serial Number." My SNID was accepted by https://account.acer.com/ when I registered the product just an hour ago.

What does RCD mean by the way? 

• frustrationmax
    frustrationmax Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

Followup to my previous question asking about the telephone number for obtaining recovery media, I spoke to the technical support at Acer Italy (+39 199 509994) and asked whether one can purchase recovery media for an Acer Aspire V3, noting that the store.acer.com returned "no RCD available". Answers:

1. Given a valid SNID for the Acer laptop, yes, Acer would sell me recovery media for it.

2. Acer Italy pronounced my SNID was valid, even though I have not yet activated Windows 8.

3. Acer will burn DVDs containing the factory default software for your laptop, and these will be bootable by that laptop and will restore the laptop to factory default. The Acer eRecovery program that runs on the laptop will NOT burn these DVDs, only the national Acer can do this. At least Acer Italy will NOT supply the media in a USB stick, only DVDs are delivered.

4. You must contact the Acer subsidiary specific for the country you purchased the laptop in, so United States for laptops from USA, Italy for those from Italy, France for French laptops, and so on. Each "national" Acer can only supply media for laptops it supplies to retailers.

5. Acer Italy charges 60 Euros, including taxes and delivery, for these DVDs.

At least it was worth me calling to know that in an emergency I could order these DVDs, but the cheaper option is to buy a 32 GB USB stick and do it myself - my Windows 8 Aspire insisted on 32 GB, 16 GB was not enough.

I had also asked the retailer who sold me the laptop but they told me there was no other way than to use the eRecovery program, obviously not the case.

I hope this helps others, as this information appears to be not findable online.

This discussion has been closed.