Need help Installing Win 7 and getting into Bios.

Options
wade7575
wade7575 Member Posts: 4 New User

My friends gave me their Acer v5-171-6815 to reformat and install Win 7 onto because they hate Win 8.1 like the rest of us.

Here are my problems,I can not access the Bios to change it from UEFI to Legacy and I have tried pressing and holding the F2 key when I turn it on and tapping it as well and it just boot's straight into Windows.

The other thing I would like to know is what key do you press to Access the Boot Menu,I would like to know that as well as I have installed Windows on many PC's and sometimes they just won't pick up the disc on their own wether the Bios is set to Legacy or UEFI and I find the best thing to do there is to just choose to boot from the DVD Drive from the boot Menu.

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

F12 for boot menu

keep in mind that some notebook can't fully support windows 7 and can have some hardware issues here and there (touchpad not working smoothly, VGA graphic corruption and so on).

i strongly suggest you to re-install windows 8.1 that works way better than windows 7 (if you don't like the metro UI, you can boot directly to the classic desktop or found some mods to have the classic Win7 program menu).

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • wade7575
    Options

I put the windows on for my friend and they said that's what want for sure no Classic shell or anything like that.

I was wondering about the activation I know they have to buy a new key but what kind,here's why I'm asking this I was having major problems with i not wanting to let me into the Bios and went on the web and found out while trying to find out why I could not enter the Bios some tried to illeagly activate his windows using a KMS activator he called it but said the device said with his Bios it was impossible to do even with it switched to Legacy mode.

They want a propper key code but now I'm starting to wonder what will really work and does it have to be a retail or can they buy an OEM for half the price.

• wade7575
    Options

Also I'm not asking about how to pirate anything and was never my intent I just read that and don't know what to do about what kind of key to get I would have thought any would have worked so long as it was for the propper version of windows that's installed.

• IronFly
    Options

Must buy a retail license.

sometimes it's tricky to enter BIOS, i can't suggest anything special than pressing F2 at boot or press F2 before powering ON.

• wade7575
    Options

IronFly Thanks for your help.

I got it to go into the Bios after doing a factory reset,I think what hapened was my friends had Malware and Adware on their Laptop and I have had that kind of stuff take over other functions before.

I got it to go into the Bios after the factory reset by pressing F2 I thought you may want to know this incase you hear of anyone complaining about this even when they are pressing the propper key. 

• IronFly
    Options

you welcome and thanks for the info.