Multimedia buttons

Options
Kesteron
Kesteron Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello

I have a new Acer Aspire V Nitro (VN7-591G-70X0). Everything works as a charm and I'm so happy with my new computer. The only problem I'm having is that I can't use my fn-controlled multimedia buttons.

The buttons I can't get to work is: Play/Pause, Stop, Previous and Next.

All other fn-buttons work as they should.

The multimedia buttons don't work with any program, such as Windows Media Player, Spotify or VLC.

Can someone please help me?

Best Answer

• Kesteron
    Answer ✓
    Options

After several attempts and hours of searching the web I managed to find the solution. The problem was rather simple but just as annoying. It was Chrome that was Hijacking the media keys. So since I don't use Google Play Music, I simply uninstalled the extension from Chrome. And woop woop, it works!

Thank you for the help!

Kudos to JOEY-ELIJAH SNEDDON for the guide on omgchrome.com

The guide is in the spoiler window:

Spoiler

We often hear from agitated users having issues with their keyboard media keys not working in desktop apps when the Chrome browser is running.

So what’s going on? Well, their batteries have not run out, and there’s not a kink in their system.

Global Shortcuts in Chrome

Google Chrome introduced Global Keyboard Shortcut control earlier this year. The feature allows Chrome Apps and extensions, be they media players or toolbar add-ons, to have a specific keyboard shortcut or button assigned to them. Tap it and the extension appears, window opens or track plays, even when Chrome isn’t in focus.

It’s a great feature on the whole, one that makes the new Google Play Music Player so handy. It puts album art and controls on the Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome OS desktop. But it doesn’t need to be visible to respond to presses of media/F7-F9 keys.

According to the Chrome Web Store listing more than half a million people use this one app alone — so that’s a lot of people who may find themselves wondering why iTunes or Spotify don’t respond to media key presses when Chrome is running.

Thankfully there are a few ways to solve it if the behaviour isn’t one you want.

You can set to the keyboard shortcuts to work only when Chrome is in focus:

• Open the Chrome app menu
    • Select Tools > Extensions
    • Click the ‘Keyboard Shortcuts’ link at the bottom of the page
    • Find the Google Play Music section
    • Change any specified media key options from ‘Global’ to ‘In Chrome’

Fix Media Key Hijacking in Chrome

Or you can disable/remove the app/extension from Chrome entirely:

• Find ‘Google Play Music’
    • Uncheck the ‘Enabled’ box OR click the trash can to remove

google chrome media key fix

Summary

• Chrome apps and extensions can be assigned shortcuts
    • Some are assigned global shortcuts, meaning they work when Chrome isn’t ‘in focus’
    • Global shortcuts can interfere with regular desktop app shortcuts
    • With Google Chrome set to run ‘in the background’ it can be confusing
    • You can manually change app shortcuts yourself through the Extensions page

Answers

• sathya0403
    Options
    Hi,

Could you please confirm if the Fn+F3, Fn+F7 keys work?
  • Kesteron
    Options

Yes. Both of those are functional. All my other Fn-combinations are functional. It's only the Play/Pause(Fn+Home), Stop (Fn+Pg Up), Previous (Fn+Pg Dn) and Next (Fn+End) that don't seem to work.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Re-install Acer Launch Manager:

LaunchManagerAcerLaunch Manager8.00.811511.7 MB2015/01/15Download
    France
  • Kesteron
    Options

I have tried this twice. I have also tried to install an older version (7.0). This hasn't helped.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

1- Open the Start Menu, type services.msc in the search box, press [Enter].

2- Check the startup type of Human Interface Device Access and if it's enabled or disabled.

France
  • danmicu
    danmicu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

In winamp works ? i had the same problem , but now i managed to get it working by doing this --->[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2w4h3z4.jpg[/IMG]

• Kesteron
    Options

Hello.

Thank you for your response. I checked the Human Interface Device Access. It was disabled. Nothing happens even after enabling it though. 

• Kesteron
    Answer ✓
    Options

After several attempts and hours of searching the web I managed to find the solution. The problem was rather simple but just as annoying. It was Chrome that was Hijacking the media keys. So since I don't use Google Play Music, I simply uninstalled the extension from Chrome. And woop woop, it works!

Thank you for the help!

Kudos to JOEY-ELIJAH SNEDDON for the guide on omgchrome.com

The guide is in the spoiler window:

Spoiler

We often hear from agitated users having issues with their keyboard media keys not working in desktop apps when the Chrome browser is running.

So what’s going on? Well, their batteries have not run out, and there’s not a kink in their system.

Global Shortcuts in Chrome

Google Chrome introduced Global Keyboard Shortcut control earlier this year. The feature allows Chrome Apps and extensions, be they media players or toolbar add-ons, to have a specific keyboard shortcut or button assigned to them. Tap it and the extension appears, window opens or track plays, even when Chrome isn’t in focus.

It’s a great feature on the whole, one that makes the new Google Play Music Player so handy. It puts album art and controls on the Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome OS desktop. But it doesn’t need to be visible to respond to presses of media/F7-F9 keys.

According to the Chrome Web Store listing more than half a million people use this one app alone — so that’s a lot of people who may find themselves wondering why iTunes or Spotify don’t respond to media key presses when Chrome is running.

Thankfully there are a few ways to solve it if the behaviour isn’t one you want.

You can set to the keyboard shortcuts to work only when Chrome is in focus:

• Click the ‘Keyboard Shortcuts’ link at the bottom of the page
    • Find the Google Play Music section
    • Change any specified media key options from ‘Global’ to ‘In Chrome’

Fix Media Key Hijacking in Chrome

Or you can disable/remove the app/extension from Chrome entirely:

• Find ‘Google Play Music’
    • Uncheck the ‘Enabled’ box OR click the trash can to remove

google chrome media key fix

Summary

• Chrome apps and extensions can be assigned shortcuts
    • Some are assigned global shortcuts, meaning they work when Chrome isn’t ‘in focus’
    • Global shortcuts can interfere with regular desktop app shortcuts
    • With Google Chrome set to run ‘in the background’ it can be confusing
    • You can manually change app shortcuts yourself through the Extensions page