Linpus Linux how to run setup on a CD fro the DOS prompt

Options
ptmaadi
ptmaadi Member Posts: 8 New User

I just purchased a new Acer E1-571 laptop and it is supplied with something called linpus linux and the screen comes up with a DOS prompt:

[root@localhost/i#

How do I run a programme on a CD!?? I know the programme is in the root directory of the CD but how do I get the computer to run it? DOS commands elude me after 20 years of not using them???

Best Answer

• ptmaadi
    Answer ✓
    Options

Legacy mode bios does not appear as an option in any of the menus.

Eurika!!! Hit Cntrl/Alt/Del while Linux is booting and the option to boot from CD appears!!!!!!

Thanks for your advice tux0topo

Answers

• tux0topo
    tux0topo Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options

You are running Linux. The prompt you see, is linux... no DOS.

So, forget about using DOS commands... you must use Linux commands....

If the program you seek, is for DOS or windows, then you must install windows first...

• ptmaadi
    Options

Mmmmm!!!!

The programme I want to run is setup.exe for Windows 7 - purchased separately. The laptop was supplied by my local dealer as no OS but it obviously has some form of basic Linux installed. Booting the Laptop with the Windows 7 CD in the drive does not work. It only cause LInux to go AWOL and reappear after 10 minutes or so of apparent inactivity. Going back to the deaeler would be LOL as I am currently in Egypt. Customer Service in Egypt = Big No No!!!!

What to do? Is anyone intersted in buying a Acer Laptop. Never used. Buyer collects it seems???!!!

• tux0topo
    Options

When the system start, pulse F2 to enter bios... then change the boot sequence to start with the CD unit.

Be sure that the UEFI mode is en legacy (restart the bios is required).

Then, install windows 7. Remember that you must reformat the hole hard drive...

• ptmaadi
    Options

Tried that earlier it failed. It continues to reboot into Linux.

• ptmaadi
    Options

Tried 32 and 64 bit versions and same problem

• tux0topo
    Options

At least you could enter in bios?

• ptmaadi
    Options

Into Bios and changed preference to boot from optical drive first.

Must admit to being unable to figurevout why it will not boot from the CDs. Even tried to boot from a XP disk and although it started to work the system stopped with a security message that windows had suspended installation in order to prevent damaging the computer!!!???

• tux0topo
    Options

Have you changed to legacy mode bios? And make sure to disable Secure Boot...

Some warning, is that probabbly you will gone a have to reformat the entire hard drive, so no recovery o anything at all...

• ptmaadi
    Answer ✓
    Options

Legacy mode bios does not appear as an option in any of the menus.

Eurika!!! Hit Cntrl/Alt/Del while Linux is booting and the option to boot from CD appears!!!!!!

• ptmaadi
    Options

Eureka!!! Hit Cntr/Alt Delete as Linpus Linux is loading and the option to load from CD appears!!!

• tux0topo
    Options

I think that what you see, is an option in tel linux loader...

I must warn you, once you formated the hard hdrive, that option will not gona be available again...

• ptmaadi
    Options

This discussion has been closed.