How to do a factory reset

swimnut2003
swimnut2003 Member Posts: 12 New User

Hi I have a Acer 7551-5755 Laptop. The only thing I get is Windows is trying to repair, then Windows Logo comes on. Then it goes on and says the same thing, Windows is trying to repair. This goes on these two items fir Two Days straight .  How can I  Factory Reset it.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Answer âś“

OK, let's try the next possibility. Power down you machine. On powering up, press F2 at the Acer logo screen to enter the bios menus. Look for a tab named advance or boot. Use the arrow keys to navigate and note the info on which keys do what at the bottom of the menu. Make sure your recovery DVD drive is first in the boot order. Then press F10 to exit and save the changes to the bios. Then re-start the recovery process. Report back with results.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

Did you try using this process as shown here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• swimnut2003
    I have got to the Acer eRecovery Management page v7.5 4.5 Picked first item - Completley Restore System to Factory Defaults. IT SAYS MY PASSWORD IS : incorrect I've had this computor for about 4 years.
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi...Smiley Happy

You may try password as 000000 (Six Zero's)
  • swimnut2003
    Sorry Sharanji Ally, that did not work ??????????
  • JackE

If you got this as a new notebook,  Sharangi's suggestion should've worked. Have you tried any other passwords that you may recall using with this machine over the years? If not, you might be able to retrieve the password by reading the file AIMDRS.DAT in the tools subdirectory of the hidden erecovery partition by using the suggestions on this link

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244774-45-command-find-acer-aspire-aimdrs

It's a bit involved, but I know you can do it! If you feel otherwise, you can also purchase an Acer recovery disk or stick for a nominal fee here http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• swimnut2003
    Didnot work.??? I Ordered win 7 disc to Reinstall windows program. They will be here to day, then I will try to reinstall. From there, don't know what else to do.
  • JackE

I think you did the right thing under the circumstances. Is this the Acer Win7 disc that you ordered?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• swimnut2003
    Hi, Received Windows 7 Recovery Disc's. My Question is, I'm Trying to Restore. And how long does this take. It says 100% Restoring system, and 76% Updating system. ""It has been 4: Hours,"" How long does this take ??
  • JackE

It's 11:30pm EDT. It should be done by now! What's happening? If it seems stuck, press Alt+Home (or Fn+Alt+Home). This key combo should minimize the installation screen and reveal another screen that is waiting for a response from you.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• swimnut2003
    Oh " That does not do Any thing ", Thank-You for your Help!!! But I don't know what to do Now. May be take Laptop + The Restore disc's to have it set up ???
  • JackE
    Answer âś“

OK, let's try the next possibility. Power down you machine. On powering up, press F2 at the Acer logo screen to enter the bios menus. Look for a tab named advance or boot. Use the arrow keys to navigate and note the info on which keys do what at the bottom of the menu. Make sure your recovery DVD drive is first in the boot order. Then press F10 to exit and save the changes to the bios. Then re-start the recovery process. Report back with results.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• swimnut2003
    Done Black screen saying, BOOTMGR is missing Pres ctrl+alt+dell to restart
  • JackE

Did you have the recovery disc inserted when you re-booted?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• swimnut2003
    Yes, the recovery disc is in, and when booted you it say's: BOOTMGR is missing. Black screen: says press ctrl+alt+del to restart , with a flashing curser
  • JackE

OK. I assume you're in a ctrl alt del boot loop. Correct?  Have you tried to power down yet instead of ctrl alt del? Then power on again.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• swimnut2003
    Guess what, I keep putting the Disc in and it " Restored", All is working Fine !!!! How is this possible, I'm So Glad, Thats for all your Help, an Sticking with me. Well done !!!!!!!
  • JackE

I like your perseverance! Good work! Sounds like DVD/CD disk or drive LED might've had a smudge, scratch, dust speck or whatever causing a mis-read. It happens. Just didn't think about it this time because I rarely use a DVD/CD disk anymore.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• swimnut2003
    Ok, Thank-You !!!
This discussion has been closed.