Notebooks & Netbooks

Topic

Regular Visitor
ændrük
Accepted Solution

How do I disable secure boot on an Aspire V5-171?

How do I disable secure boot so that I can install Ubuntu on an Aspire V5-171?

Acer Technician
Acer-Tommy

Re: How do I disable secure boot on an Aspire V5-171?

You want this article:

Changing BIOS mode from UEFI to Legacy

Important Links: Global Support Pages | Knowledge Base Articles
Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the kudos-thumbs-up.png Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.

Regular Visitor
ændrük

[ Edited ]

Thank you, but no, I don't. Those instructions will cause Windows 8 to fail to boot.

Apparently I wasn't clear enough earlier. This is the setting I'm asking about:

UEFI Secure Boot setting on an Aspire V5-171

Acer Technician
Acer-Tommy

Yes, you MUST set UEFI to Legacy to disable that.

You were asking about installing Ubuntu ... nothing about keeping Windows 8 bootable.

Important Links: Global Support Pages | Knowledge Base Articles
Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the kudos-thumbs-up.png Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.

Regular Visitor
ændrük

Acer-Tommy wrote:

Yes, you MUST set UEFI to Legacy to disable that.

This is factually incorrect. The option to disable Secure Boot becomes available when a supervisor password is set.

Acer-Tommy wrote:

You were asking about installing Ubuntu ... nothing about keeping Windows 8 bootable.

I mentioned Ubuntu as my motivation for asking about Secure Boot so that the term would appear on this page and help guide others who are searching the web for solutions to the same problem. I'm sorry it mislead you.

Visitor
alexscorpion

Set a Supervisor Password from BIOS, then you will be able to disable Secure Boot.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-Tablets/w510-Why-is-Secure-Boot/m-p/10445#M817

That worked for me. Continuing on installing linuxes

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Please join me in congratulating IronFly who is the first Acer Community Member to achieve the rank of ACE Pathfinder. IronFly has shown a consistent willingness to help others and has worked hard to earn this new Rank. Congrats and Thank You IronFly.

ACE Pathfinder

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: