Topic

Contributing Member
pbutin

Re: Haswell Aspire R7 US release information?

Forgot to say that the last two techs said there was no way for Acer to replace the computer--only repair it.  That's totally unacceptable for a brand new computer with an obvious flaw.  Acer, do you monitor these forums?  I am still having terrible connection problems with the R7--both my old Toshiba ($500 computer) and my wife's Lenova Yoga 11s get the full 5.5 gbps we are paying for from Cox.  Right in the same spot I am testing my new Acer.  The Acer is totally random in speed: 2 mbps.  Then won't connect at all.  Then 5 mbps.  Then 3 mbps.  Then I try to play a news video and it buffers constantly--off more than on.

I would love to keep this computer--aside from this crucial problem I love it.  But who in 2014 can keep a brand new computer that has terrible connetion to the internet?

Contributing Member
pbutin

Has anyone tried reinstalling the drivers?  If you try to install the broadcom driver from the Acer website you get an error message that the Widcomm driver on the machine is newer than the one you are trying to install and you can't proceed.   What is the atheros wireless driver there on the website?   Has anyone tried installing this instead?

Contributing Member
pbutin

Update: I wasn't willing to simply return the computer to Acer for "repair" after my negative experiences with their phone "techs."  So I took machine #2 back to Best Buy--Geek Squad said they would work with it, contact Acer (since this computer is a Best Buy Exclusive), figure out what the problem was, and guarantee I could do a store return if I still couldn't get decent internet in my house.  I love everything else about the computer so I was really hoping we could get this problem fixed.

They decided in conversation with Acer that the problem is that the wireless card in the Aspire R7 572 is made to operate on the 5 ghz band whenever it is farther away from the router.    They suggested I get a dual band router (others in the old thread suggested this too).  They said I could bring them both back even after my 15 day deadline if after setting up the new routher my home internet wasn't working on this computer to my satisfaction.

I coughed up the money, set up the new router and everything seems to be fine!!

1. Very grateful to Best Buy and Geek Squad for being exceptionally helpful and supportive--they truly understand (at least where I live) that having satisfied customers is the way to have a thriving business.  They went the extra mile, and because of their help I am able to keep this machine, which I love in every other respect--just need it to work on the internet.
  2. Quite disappointed with Acer support.  Apparently this has been a widespread problem--it is very easy to fix and all they need to do is prepare a prompt sheet for all of their foreign phone "techs" that explains the issue with the dual band router and counsels people to replace their router.   Inexcusable to talk to 4 different techs (both level 1 and level 2), none of whom new anything about this widespread problem and all of whom misdiagnosed it. The Geek Squad tech said Acer is well aware of the problem and explained it right away to him.  Why are they covering up to their customers?   Lesson for Acer: having satisfied customers is the way to be a thriving business.
  3. Best Buy also needs to warn its sales people about this.   They should point out to anyone buying this computer that they will need a dual band router to get acceptable internet service.  This will save a lot of frustration, time (salespeople, customer service, Geek Squad), and help ensure satisfied customers.
  4. If you need 1 TB storage,d 8gb RAM, great sound, and a cool all-in-one screen on a slim but good-sized convertible laptop, get a dual-band router and buy this.  It's still reasonable even with the extra investment for the new router.
Contributing Member
michail71

I'm confused about all the issues here.  I have a R2-572 and have connected it to a few single and dual band routers without issues.

Contributing Member
pbutin

I'm glad you had no issues.  The basic issue--confirmed as common by Geek Squad and apparently by Acer in their private behind-the-scenes conversations--is that without a dual band router, the R7 572 only works at any distance from the router on the 5 ghz frequency and not the lower frequency.  So if you have a single band router it will work close to the routher (i.e. within 5 feet, but if you start moving away from the router the internet access and speed will be highly inconsistent, as I spell out in my posts prior to this one.  I now coughed up the money for a dual band router and my problem is solved for my house--but not at my office where they only have a single-band router that is too far from the router for me to get a decent internet connection--while my olde HP and Toshiba Windows 7 computers work fine at the same distance.

Contributing Member
michail71

I have been using a dual band router with this laptop but I also tried it with my U-verse gateway running 802.11g on 2.4 Ghz.  That seemed to work fine too but the U-verse gateway is rahter robust, even if it's only a g router.  So it may be certain routers it doesn't work too well with. 

I have the two wifi points setup in opposite ends of the house.  I have to reset my Belkin 802.11G dual band router every so often.  It's not as reliable as the U-verse gateway.

Contributing Member
pbutin

R7-572 Continued Problems with Wireless Internet Speed and Performance

I know you all are sick of my posts--sorry.  As you know, I have a brand new Acer R7-572 and a brand new LinkSys Dual Band Router.   After using the new router for a couple of weeks, I am still having problems with internet speed and performance, but the problem has shifted a bit.  It is not longer about proximity to the router.   The problem seems to occur randomly after the computer has been on for awhile.   The signal simply drops to .88 or 1.1 or some such gbps.   However, now (with the dual band router), when I reboot the computer, I can reliably re-establish the full 5.4 or 5.5 gbps that I am paying for. 

This is very discouraging.  I went by Geek Squad today to talk with them about it, but  they were too busy and the tech I have worked with was not at the counter.  I will go back.  I don't think I want to exchange this computer for any other model.   If the problem is specific to the 2 machines I have had so far I would be open to getting #3 if the problem would not reoccur.   I  think I would also be open at this point to sending the computer to Acer for repair if it could truly be repaired permanently.  Because I love everything else about this computer and want to keep this model--no other laptop quite meets my needs (except for the internet issue, which is clearly a flaw that must fixed under warranty).

I am posting again so that Acer, Geek Squad, and everyone else interested in this computer is aware of this persistent problem.  At the moment it's not to hard (but inconvenient and unacceptable for a brand new $900 computer) since I can always reboot and improve my connection.  But it's not right and Acer has an obligation to make it right.

Contributing Member
brek

Re: R7-572 Continued Problems with Wireless Internet Speed and Performance

I'm not entirely up to speed on what you have done so far... but I bought two R7-571s from Best Buy. Returned them because the wifi didn't work at all. Bought a third one direct from Acer (on ebay) and the wifi didn't work on that either. This time instead of returning it, I contacted Acer about the problem and they said it was a known issue (there is a ~60 page thread about wifi problems on the 571 here) and sent me out a replacement over night. That one worked.

2much2do

Re: R7-572 Continued Problems with Wireless Internet Speed and Performance

In response to:

"This time instead of returning it, I contacted Acer about the problem and they said it was a known issue (there is a ~60 page thread about wifi problems on the 571 here) and sent me out a replacement over night. That one worked."

If this is a "known issue" to Acer, why doesn't Acer RECALL all potentially defective R7-572 inventory from Best Buy stores, and replace them with fixed ones?????????

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Long time Acer Community member and leader Padgett has reached a new milestone of 1500 posts helping and guiding others to solution. Please join me in congratulating Padgett on this accomplishment.

ACE Pioneer

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: