Has anyone upgraded an aspire 7520 to windows 8 and found correct graphics drivers?

Options
ihk
ihk Member Posts: 2 New User

I clean installed a Windows 8 32bit upgrade onto an Aspire 7520 (GeForce 7000M graphics) previously running Vista 32.

The graphics driver has been replaced by a generic Microsoft driver which works for simple use but has limited resolution (1024 * 768) and cannot properly show video.

Device manager indicated that there were 4 devices missing drivers. I cured two by downloading the Ricoh card reader driver (v 6.10.01.03) for Windows 7/32 from Acer and another by downloading the AMT_ENE driver also from Acer for Win 7/32.

The remaining dveice is shown as a 'coprocessor' so I expected to fix that by downloading the Win7/32 x86 graphics drivers from Acer site. I have tried several versions which load ok and display at full resoultion on the desktop BUT lock up on the new Start screen - the background shows, the apps disappear after a few seconds and task manager shows Windows explorer burning 50% cpu. The device manager still shows the coprocessor as not having a driver, though the display adapter does show Nvidia driver installed not  Microsoft. The only fix is to roll back the graphics display adapter driver to Microsoft generic.

I also tried to load the latest Nvdia chipset drivers from Acer for MCP67 chipset Win7/32 but the installer never completes cleanly.

Any advice welcome. According to Piriform Speccy the Chipset is MCP67M, Nforce 560, Motherboard (bios?) v 1.09

Best Answer

• ihk
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have found a graphics driver which works : install 7.15.11.7948 by downloading Windows 7 driver 179.48 beta for nForce 610M from from www.siliconguide.com/drivers/device/2307/ . (also at /2306/ same file available for GeForce 7000M).

Just download the file which is a .exe and then run it.

Full resolution of 1440*900 is now displayed and video plays smoothly.

Note this is a more recent driver version than the one for Windows 7 or for Vista 32 both install version 167.49 (7.15.11.6749) available on the Acer support site - this does not work properly for Windows 8.

Windows 8 and applications appears to run very well now in both new interface and desktop modes.

Device manager still shows an 'other device' VEN_10DE & DEV_0543&SUBSYS_01261025&Rev_A2 as having no driver......still looking for this one.

Answers

• ihk
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have found a graphics driver which works : install 7.15.11.7948 by downloading Windows 7 driver 179.48 beta for nForce 610M from from www.siliconguide.com/drivers/device/2307/ . (also at /2306/ same file available for GeForce 7000M).

Just download the file which is a .exe and then run it.

Full resolution of 1440*900 is now displayed and video plays smoothly.

Note this is a more recent driver version than the one for Windows 7 or for Vista 32 both install version 167.49 (7.15.11.6749) available on the Acer support site - this does not work properly for Windows 8.

Windows 8 and applications appears to run very well now in both new interface and desktop modes.

Device manager still shows an 'other device' VEN_10DE & DEV_0543&SUBSYS_01261025&Rev_A2 as having no driver......still looking for this one.

This discussion has been closed.