Ferrari 4000 screen blank until Windows - cannot see BIOS or boot menu

Chakonari
Chakonari Member Posts: 3 New User

When starting and pressing F2 the lapop beeps at some point but the screen remains blank. If I then press F10 followed by enter, the laptop reboots and boots into Windows.

If I press F12 during boot, the screen remains blank and nothing happens until I press Enter after which Windws boots.

So I can enter the BIOS and the boot menu, but the screen remains blank.

The screen always stays blank until Windows desktop (no animations or anything before that).

I have connected 2 different monitors (wit VGA and DVI input), but same thing.

The laptop is runnig XP and the DVD drive only reads very few CDs like the recovery CDs. I want to boot from USB to replace XP with Linux (I have done it on this laptop before).

I found one post with a different PC but same issue but the thread died without a resolution being posted. Other searches show results like BIOS OK but no Windows, no BIOS and no Windows, but not no BIOS Windows OK.

Answers

• Chakonari

OK, trying something different now. Can anyone tell me how to navigate in the boot menu that appears after pressing F12? I know I can access it - just can't see it like the BIOS. So if I know what keys do what in that menu, I should be able to (blindly) select the devices in a logcal order.

• ajay_1988
    ajay_1988 Member Posts: 77 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Did you try to flash your BIOS to the latest version available for your Laptop. If no,
    Kindly try updating your BIOS, may be it will help you solve your issue.

Be careful while updating your BIOS. Steps to remember
    1). Your Laptop must have minimum 40% charge
    2). You Must connect your AC adapter while flashing your BIOS.
    3). Download the BIOS only meant for your Laptop (Latest BIOS)
    4). Read instructions carefully before Flashing your BIOS
  • Chakonari

Thanks for the hint - Latest BIOS was installed years ago Smiley Happy Plus I wouldn't dream of trying to update the BIOS without being able to see anything, unless Windows wouldn't boot.

Like I said, I can make changes in the BIOS, but without seeing what I'm doing.(I've reset the BIOS and disabled/enabled the F12 boot menu).

So all I really need now is to know how to actually navigate in the boot menu.

This discussion has been closed.