EFI Bootloader - Corrupted?

Xpl0ad3r
Xpl0ad3r Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi guys,

So I own a v3-571g (It has an InsydeH2O® UEFI BIOS), which came with Windows 8 pre-installed.

Last weekend, I tried to dual boot Windows 8 with a Linux distro, Lubuntu. Everything installed fine, however I couldn't see the Lubuntu on the boot manager, so I tried this tool named "boot-repair" from the Lubuntu's live cd, after that it kinda messed up with my partitions. I couldn't see the Windows partition anymore, just the Linux one which was using the 700GB (My total HDD size).

So it appeared that Lubuntu "ate" my Windows 8 Installation.

I thought of using windows 8 dvd to somehow try to recover the system, so I googled and found this artice, where I followed some steps provided by someone (Indrek's post):

http://superuser.com/questions/460762/how-can-i-repair-the-windows-8-efi-bootloader

Of all the commands, these two seem to be the most relevant for my problem:

bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-gb /s B: /f ALL
bootrec /fixmbr

Since "/f ALL" saves Bios settings and "fixmbr" as the name says, fixes an mbr partition, when my Windows 8 was installed on a GPT partition.

I think these commands might have corrupted the EFI bootloader...
Because, devices using UEFI are no longer recognized on boot, it just gives me a "No bootable device found" error. Neither I can boot to Windows nor I can get my windows 8 uefi version (or any other UEFI based OS for that matter) to install anymore.

On the other hand, if I set the BIOS Mode to "Legacy Bios", I can boot to a normal Windows 8 (no UEFI version).

So, my question would be: How can I recover my Bios, so I can use UEFI again? Any help please?

Thank in advance!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

I hate to suggest this but have you considered downloading the Acer UEFI bios and trying to flash it back to health?

Jack E/NJ

PS: Next time consider running Linux as a virtual OS with VMWare's player. I'm running Win98SE, WinXP and a SuSE distro as virtuals without problems on two of my puny little notebooks.

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.