E1-522 aspire problem

Thampton
Thampton Member Posts: 3 New User
New laptop, minimal use, went to use it today and it will turn on and let me enter my password, then goes to a black screen. I can see my mouse curse and can move it but nothing else comes up. I've restarted it, I've taken out the battery and held down the power for 40s, I've done what I could find from searching around :s. Now I did get into the setup (f2 on startup) but now am not really sure what I am looking for. In security it does say my hdd password is frozen. The supervisor and user passwords are clear. Any help would be be greatly appreciated, I have a fair amount of unpacked up items on hereSmiley Sad

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

hi...

This issue is reported by an recently released windows update.

This update was released by Microsoft and is automatically installed on your computer.

To resolve this issue you may perform system restore to previous date  or reset your computer.

System restore to previous date
    Please power OFF the computer by pressing the power button for 4 to 5 seconds.
    Restart the computer and get to the windows login screen.

From the login screen, click the power icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
    While holding Shift key down on your keyboard, click Restart.

After selecting option Troubleshoot, select Advance options.
    Select System Restore to restore the OS to an earlier date and time.
    After the restore processes is completed, you would be able to login into your computer.

System reset
    If you are unable to find a restore point then the only option is to reset the computer.

During the system recovery process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten. This means all your files, such as email and photos, will be erased. Therefore, we recommend you backup your personal data before starting the recovery process.

From the login screen, click the power icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
    Click Troubleshoot and select Reset Your PC.Click Next.
    The system will reboot and begin Preparing to Reset the PC.
    At the Reset your PC screen, click Just remove my files.
    Click Reset.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

hi...

This issue is reported by an recently released windows update.

This update was released by Microsoft and is automatically installed on your computer.

To resolve this issue you may perform system restore to previous date  or reset your computer.

System restore to previous date
    Please power OFF the computer by pressing the power button for 4 to 5 seconds.
    Restart the computer and get to the windows login screen.

After selecting option Troubleshoot, select Advance options.
    Select System Restore to restore the OS to an earlier date and time.
    After the restore processes is completed, you would be able to login into your computer.

System reset
    If you are unable to find a restore point then the only option is to reset the computer.

During the system recovery process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten. This means all your files, such as email and photos, will be erased. Therefore, we recommend you backup your personal data before starting the recovery process.

Click Troubleshoot and select Reset Your PC.Click Next.
    The system will reboot and begin Preparing to Reset the PC.
    At the Reset your PC screen, click Just remove my files.
    Click Reset.
  • Thampton

Hello!

Thank-you, you have advanced me somewhat! 

Okay, unfortunately it would not let me restore back to a previous date.  It kept saying possibly my antivirus was blocking it but I wasn't sure how to do anything about it so left it.  However, using the steps for the restore, I did see another option that I thought may work.  I don't remember the exact wording now, but basically I would have to re-update everything again but it said my personal files and photos and that would be alright. 

I did do that, and it did allow me to get into my laptop afterward.  There are a few files missing that I can see so far, and I had 99 windows updates to re-install. 

The problem now is that when I restarted it it Failure configuring Windows Updates, reverting changes.  In doing a restart it still tells me I have to restart to install the updates. 

Thanks again, really appreviate your help!

• Thampton

Well thank-you, I believe the issue has  been resolved.  As long as the windows update has been identified and fixed then I should no longer have an issue.  Although the exact solution you described did not work, the process of it did end up leading me to the right area which did resolve my problem so thanks again!  It took a few tries for windows to finally get the upgrades to configure and work, but it seems to be ok now.  I was able to get my Office back up and working, and so other than minor adjustments like how my desktop was laid out I think I have most of everything back to normal!  (AND I was sure to back up my few items I do not want to lose onto my external hard drive just in case"Smiley Happy  )

Wonderful and quick  to answer, thank-you!

This discussion has been closed.