Dummy Form APP virus

Member Posts: 71 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Anyone know how to rid of the "Dummy Form APP" virus or whatever the category of nuisnce?

Best Answer

• Member Posts: 71 New User
    Answer ✓

Thank you. The APP was only seen on shutdown message as preventing same. The Dummy Form APP was not in Program Uninstall. The problem, after running an update, has been dismissed. Thanks again, Philip

Answers

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer

All indications that I can find refer to this being associated with 'Acer Instant Update Service'.
    Other than this appearing to be linked to email, I have no idea what it is for.
    If this is the offending app then it is clearly not part of Windows and you could dispense with it.

Many state that they cannot delete the program because they cannot identify it.
    Run 'MSCONFIG.EXE' and check 'Services' and 'Startup' tabs for clues. If it appears in 'Startup' you can uncheck it to prevent it running. Also disable the service if present. Alternatively you can stop and delete the service from a command prompt if you wish using:

SC STOP <shortservicename>

SC DELETE <shortservicename>

• Member Posts: 71 New User
    Answer ✓

Thank you. The APP was only seen on shutdown message as preventing same. The Dummy Form APP was not in Program Uninstall. The problem, after running an update, has been dismissed. Thanks again, Philip

• Mplsmew
    Mplsmew Member Posts: 4 New User

Could someone tell me whether getting this message on shutting down is a virus or only a nuisance.