Notebooks & Netbooks

Topic

tcmomo3
Accepted Solution

Does updated WiFi driver 10.0.0.217 fix anybody's intermittent failure problem?

[ Edited ]

Aspire V3-571G, Windows 8, Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 network adaptor

I installed the new driver from the Acer support site (10.0.0.217), and am still having intermittent WiFi failures every 15-20 minutes (shows up as limited connectivity).

Has anyone resolved this problem on a V3-571G, Windows 8, with the 10.0.0.217 driver?

I will definitely be returning this if I can't get this resolved, as it's unusable as is.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Established Member
mik101

Re: Does updated WiFi driver 10.0.0.217 fix anybody's intermittent failure problem?

[ Edited ]

I have a V3-571 and never had the issue regardless of driver version, but I have had the issue with other laptops not playing nice with older routers. Especially if theyre running flakey software (read: most routers that don't use a ddwrt/openwrt etc build). I've noticed no one mentions what their access point/gateway/router is, when that could easily be part of the problem.

My current setup is a Dlink DIR632 running the newest available build of ddwrt firmware. It's covering around 2000sqft. No signal drops whatsoever. Currently running the 217 driver in Windows 8. And there are about a dozen networks around me, so congestion is an issue.

Visitor
Komy

Re: Does updated WiFi driver 10.0.0.217 fix anybody's intermittent failure problem?

Hi, I just bought my V5-571PG yesterday, and I found exactly the same problem as you--wifi disconnects very often, almost every 7-10 mins, and automatically reconnects within 1-3 mins. That really annoyed me.

After I downloaded and installed the latest driver from Acer's website, this intermittent wifi failure finally solved.

Just go to Acer's website and find this driver from, ex. Aspire S3-391,S7-391,V3-731,V5-431,V5-531,V5-551, V5-571...for Win8

As long as you can find the exactly the same file as below , it should work.

Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver (new)10.0.0.217.v3216.5 MB2012/12/28

I downloaded it, then executed "setup.exe " in the folder to uninstall the old driver. After old version was uninstalled, then executed it again to install the new driver. Computer restarted after it was installed.

It's been at least 2 hours now, and my laptop is still working well. Finally wifi has no more random disconnection again :smileyhappy:

Hope this works for your  V3 as well :smileyhappy:

Visitor
Fgumper

@komy

Komy wrote:

Hi, I just bought my V5-571PG yesterday, and I found exactly the same problem as you--wifi disconnects very often, almost every 7-10 mins, and automatically reconnects within 1-3 mins. That really annoyed me.

After I downloaded and installed the latest driver from Acer's website, this intermittent wifi failure finally solved.

Just go to Acer's website and find this driver from, ex. Aspire S3-391,S7-391,V3-731,V5-431,V5-531,V5-551, V5-571...for Win8

I downloaded it, then executed "setup.exe " in the folder to uninstall the old driver. After old version was uninstalled, then executed it again to install the new driver. Computer restarted after it was installed.

It's been at least 2 hours now, and my laptop is still working well. Finally wifi has no more random disconnection again :smileyhappy:

Any chace you can post a direct link to the download. The latest driver I see if dated 12/04 Still listed as 10.0.0.217, but not V2.

tcmomo3

Komy wrote:

Thanks Komy - can you provide the link to the v3 driver (10.0.0.217.V3), time-stamped 2012/12/28?  When I go to Acer->Downloads->Aspire->V3-571G->Windows8, I can only see the 10.0.0.217 driver time-stamped 2012/12/04.

Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver10.0.0.217224.1 MB2012/12/04
Regular Visitor
skillyskill

ive had same problem worked fine every one say all ways use latest drivers. since driver update every 10 mins lose connection then it says limited is it possible to go back before update my lap top v3-771g windows 8

Visitor
Komy

This file can only be found in certain models like I listed in my previous post.

For me, I can't find it under V5-571PG.

So, this is what I did,

Notebook&Ultrabook-->Aspire-->V9-391-->Win8 64bit, then you can find this file in the list.

If you use battery, please do the following,

Setting-->PC info-->Device manager-->Network adapters-->Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 wireless network adapter-->Power management-->Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Please untick this selection.

You can keep it unchecked even when you use AC adapter.

Hopes this help.

This method works for me, but I'm still waiting for the "official solution" from Acer Service Center :smileyhappy:

tcmomo3

Komy - you are awesome!

In your recommendation, you mentioned completely uninstalling the old driver first.  I had not previously done this!

So, after downloading 10.0.0.217, I ran the setup.exe and chose uninstall, rebooted, and then did a new installation of the driver.

I've now run for 4 straight hours without a single WiFi limited connection problem.

Good job Komy.

Visitor
simplysi

Thanks for this advice on the issue of intermittent connectivity. I am going through the instructions. Did you find the driver took about an hour to download?

Visitor
bendotorg

YES!  it worked.  Thank you all for this thread.  I have an Acer Aspire S7.  Just got it a month or so ago.  Love it in all ways except for the fact that i had the chronic intermittent wireless loss.  

Called Acer support and their recommendation was to reinstall windows!  UGH.  Sad that some people have no choice but to listen to tier one support working from a "playbook".

Anyway, I had already upgraded the driver once with no success but this latest update released on 12/28 (the version 3 one) was new.  So, I downloaded, then uninstalled the existing driver in windows.  Then I rebooted.  Then i ran setup on the new driver.  And the install process then asked me what i wanted to do.  I selected "completely remove" (i'm paraphrasing...whatever that option was).  And the installer did it's thing.  THEN i installed the new driver and had to do a mandatory reboot (i think...going from memory).

Everything has worked perfectly since then.  Not a single wireless connection dropped since.  Thank you again everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Acer is proud to announce the promotion of Philetus to the ACE team. Philetus has been a member since March 2013 and has shown the skills and patience required to be a member of this exclusive, invite only team of experts. Congratulations Philetus!

ACE Pioneer

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: