Does updated WiFi driver 10.0.0.217 fix anybody's intermittent failure problem?

tcmomo3
tcmomo3 Member Posts: 6 New User

Aspire V3-571G, Windows 8, Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 network adaptor

I installed the new driver from the Acer support site (10.0.0.217), and am still having intermittent WiFi failures every 15-20 minutes (shows up as limited connectivity).

Has anyone resolved this problem on a V3-571G, Windows 8, with the 10.0.0.217 driver?

I will definitely be returning this if I can't get this resolved, as it's unusable as is.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Komy
    Komy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓

Hi, I just bought my V5-571PG yesterday, and I found exactly the same problem as you--wifi disconnects very often, almost every 7-10 mins, and automatically reconnects within 1-3 mins. That really annoyed me.

After I downloaded and installed the latest driver from Acer's website, this intermittent wifi failure finally solved.

Just go to Acer's website and find this driver from, ex. Aspire S3-391,S7-391,V3-731,V5-431,V5-531,V5-551, V5-571...for Win8

As long as you can find the exactly the same file as below , it should work.

Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver (new)10.0.0.217.v3216.5 MB2012/12/28

I downloaded it, then executed "setup.exe " in the folder to uninstall the old driver. After old version was uninstalled, then executed it again to install the new driver. Computer restarted after it was installed.

It's been at least 2 hours now, and my laptop is still working well. Finally wifi has no more random disconnection again Smiley Happy

Hope this works for your  V3 as well Smiley Happy

Answers

• mik101
    mik101 Member Posts: 32 New User

I have a V3-571 and never had the issue regardless of driver version, but I have had the issue with other laptops not playing nice with older routers. Especially if theyre running flakey software (read: most routers that don't use a ddwrt/openwrt etc build). I've noticed no one mentions what their access point/gateway/router is, when that could easily be part of the problem.

My current setup is a Dlink DIR632 running the newest available build of ddwrt firmware. It's covering around 2000sqft. No signal drops whatsoever. Currently running the 217 driver in Windows 8. And there are about a dozen networks around me, so congestion is an issue.

• Komy
    Answer ✓

Hi, I just bought my V5-571PG yesterday, and I found exactly the same problem as you--wifi disconnects very often, almost every 7-10 mins, and automatically reconnects within 1-3 mins. That really annoyed me.

After I downloaded and installed the latest driver from Acer's website, this intermittent wifi failure finally solved.

Just go to Acer's website and find this driver from, ex. Aspire S3-391,S7-391,V3-731,V5-431,V5-531,V5-551, V5-571...for Win8

I downloaded it, then executed "setup.exe " in the folder to uninstall the old driver. After old version was uninstalled, then executed it again to install the new driver. Computer restarted after it was installed.

It's been at least 2 hours now, and my laptop is still working well. Finally wifi has no more random disconnection again Smiley Happy

• Fgumper
    Fgumper Member Posts: 1 New User

@komy

Komy wrote:

Any chace you can post a direct link to the download. The latest driver I see if dated 12/04 Still listed as 10.0.0.217, but not V2.

• tcmomo3

Komy wrote:

Thanks Komy - can you provide the link to the v3 driver (10.0.0.217.V3), time-stamped 2012/12/28?  When I go to Acer->Downloads->Aspire->V3-571G->Windows8, I can only see the 10.0.0.217 driver time-stamped 2012/12/04.

Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver10.0.0.217224.1 MB2012/12/04
  • skillyskill
    skillyskill Member Posts: 3 New User

ive had same problem worked fine every one say all ways use latest drivers. since driver update every 10 mins lose connection then it says limited is it possible to go back before update my lap top v3-771g windows 8

• Komy

This file can only be found in certain models like I listed in my previous post.

For me, I can't find it under V5-571PG.

So, this is what I did,

Notebook&Ultrabook-->Aspire-->V9-391-->Win8 64bit, then you can find this file in the list.

If you use battery, please do the following,

Setting-->PC info-->Device manager-->Network adapters-->Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 wireless network adapter-->Power management-->Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Please untick this selection.

You can keep it unchecked even when you use AC adapter.

Hopes this help.

This method works for me, but I'm still waiting for the "official solution" from Acer Service Center Smiley Happy

• tcmomo3

Komy - you are awesome!

In your recommendation, you mentioned completely uninstalling the old driver first.  I had not previously done this!

So, after downloading 10.0.0.217, I ran the setup.exe and chose uninstall, rebooted, and then did a new installation of the driver.

I've now run for 4 straight hours without a single WiFi limited connection problem.

Good job Komy.

• simplysi
    simplysi Member Posts: 1 New User

Thanks for this advice on the issue of intermittent connectivity. I am going through the instructions. Did you find the driver took about an hour to download?

• bendotorg
    bendotorg Member Posts: 1 New User

YES!  it worked.  Thank you all for this thread.  I have an Acer Aspire S7.  Just got it a month or so ago.  Love it in all ways except for the fact that i had the chronic intermittent wireless loss.  

Called Acer support and their recommendation was to reinstall windows!  UGH.  Sad that some people have no choice but to listen to tier one support working from a "playbook".

Anyway, I had already upgraded the driver once with no success but this latest update released on 12/28 (the version 3 one) was new.  So, I downloaded, then uninstalled the existing driver in windows.  Then I rebooted.  Then i ran setup on the new driver.  And the install process then asked me what i wanted to do.  I selected "completely remove" (i'm paraphrasing...whatever that option was).  And the installer did it's thing.  THEN i installed the new driver and had to do a mandatory reboot (i think...going from memory).

Everything has worked perfectly since then.  Not a single wireless connection dropped since.  Thank you again everyone who has contributed to this thread.

• cataphrasis
    cataphrasis Member Posts: 5 New User

Sorry, but I have uninstalled, removed, installed - twice now - and I still get the same problem. The drops are less frequent but they are still occurring.

• cataphrasis

Correction: drops are frequent again. This is a terrible experience.

• Sweep14
    Sweep14 Member Posts: 1 New User

You absoluetly need to use the 10.0.0.217 V3 driver (date 12/28/2012)

Download it from the acer website by using the ACER Aspire S3-391 Portable computer specs for Win 8 OS.

Then completely uninstall your current drivers (bluetooth and wifi) as this new driver will deal with both of them.

Then install the V3 version of the driver and you should be ok

• cataphrasis

That's exactly what I did.

The last time that I ran the troubleshooting tool, however, the problem turned out not to be the wireless adapter. I hope that this means the problem is resolved. I am not hopeful, given how long it's lasted.

• cataphrasis

Have just done the whole rigmarole for the third time and still getting drops - slowing down, then Limited, then gone. I have to say that this is a good laptop, but to lack something as basic as a wireless connection means that I could never recommend Acer to anyone.

• cataphrasis

I have to eat my words. Reset my modem and everything has been fine for a day. Acer, you gave us a bad headache but thanks for the medicine.

• sundoobie
    sundoobie Member Posts: 6 New User

You might also look into updating your Bios. 

• user-ks-82
    user-ks-82 Member Posts: 1 New User

It's been at least 2 hours now, and my laptop is still working well. Finally wifi has no more random disconnection again :smileyhappy:

Hope this works for your  V3 as well :smileyhappy:

To Komy, the person who posted this.. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU! This night almost made me cry. I didn't know what else I could do with my v5-471 and I came across this.

• gabrieleformici
    gabrieleformici Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hello! I've found this topic and I've got the same problem so I decided to post here.

My laptop is an aspire v5-571pg.

I've completely removed the old driver then installed the new one (.217.v3) as described on acre support website and on this topic.

My Internet connection worked for 2 days (more or less).

But now, I'm actually still having the same problem.

Is there anyone who solved by resetting the router (I'd prefer not to do it, but if necessary...)?

Or better, does anyone know anything about the development of .218 version of the driver?

I'm very annoyed by this situation... I think Acer shouldn't release non-working drivers!

Thanks!

Regards,

Gabry Man Wink

• onlyspike
    onlyspike Member Posts: 2 New User

I thought I'd tell you all my experience I had so far..

I bought a new Aspire V5517PG.

On the same day I got it and busy installing my software I noticed the intermittent wifi connection failures.

I ignored it and thought it might be my ISP as they coincidently was having problems on their side.

After a couple of days of battling with the connection issues, I phoned my ISP and they assured me that the issues have been resolved.

I eventually did a bit of googling and then stumbled upon this thread.

I tried all the suggestions, updated to the wifi drivers from the acer site. It will be fine for a couple of hours and then started again.

As a last resort I decided to do a fresh new installation.

So, I backed up all my data, reset the laptop to factory default and then started uninstalling all the extra stuff that Acer installs by default that I don't want. (McAfee, games, etc).

I then ran my laptop for about a day without any problems. (still without installing any extra software of re-copying all my data)

I then created a system restore point and then installed all available windows updates.

Run the laptop for about another day without any problems.

Created another system restore point.

I then had to install Office as I needed to create a document.

I then re-installed Office 2013 Preview, which I had installed previously.

The next day my laptop started with the issues again.

I then did a system restore upto just before I installed Office and it operated fine for about 2 hours until I needed to go to sleep.

I am going to try and run it without office for at least another day.

If I encounter the problems again without office then I can only assume it might be something in windows updates as this was the second to last thing I installed.

If its working fine without Office then it had to be Office.

I will try and install a more reliable Office 2010 and see what happens.

This is an amazing laptop. I absolutely love it other then wanting to through it out the windows each time it loses WiFi connection.

Im not sure if this may help someone or if anyone has any other explanation.

I will keep you posted on my findings.

• gabrieleformici
    gabrieleformici Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi, thanks for writing! Smiley Happy

I've got the same laptop as I said, but I've been working Office 2010 on it since I bought it and I still have the problem. Furthermore, I have disabled windows update... I think it may be a hardware problem, not a software problem... If I find sth I'll tell you!

Keep in touch!

This discussion has been closed.