Do I need a bootable USB with Windows 8 to update BIOS?

Options
blue2oct7
blue2oct7 Member Posts: 2 New User

A few nights ago, I was trying to open a document on my laptop (Acer Aspire V5-431 series), and suddenly, it asked me for my Windows activation key. Well since windows 8 came preloaded when I bought the laptop, I didn’t have the key written down anywhere (never imagined this scenario happening). I freaked out and didn’t know what to do (I guess I should’ve clicked on that contact Microsoft button or whatever that was), so I ended up upgrading to windows 8.1. After using that for a little while, I decided I didn’t like it and reverted back to windows 8. The only problem is that my wireless network adapter disconnects from my router frequently. I had this fixed before when it was under warranty and all they did was update the BIOS. So I thought that all I needed to do was update the BIOS. I downloaded the BIOS files (from Acer’s website) to a USB. Then I made sure my computer would boot from USB first. So now when I turn on my computer, it reads my USB and says there is a disk error and to remove the disk and push any key. When I remove the USB it says “operating system not found.” Do I need to have a bootable windows 8 USB, or am I doing something wrong?

If I need a bootable USB with windows 8, I have to do that with a friend’s computer (they run windows 7). If I use Microsoft’s upgrade assistant to save a Windows 8 ISO to my USB, will that mess up their computer?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    Normally Acer BIOS would update under windows enviroment, it's a simple .exe to launche as application.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • BearPaw
    BearPaw Member Posts: 69 Troubleshooter
    Options

The way this works under Windows 8 is when you launch the BIOS update, the application logs off the user (Save your work before updating the BIOS) and then boots to a simplistic looking DOS screen and the BIOS update takes place. Make sure your AC Adapter is plugged in for safety measures as if you don't have it plugged in and your power is low on your laptop you might brick your system from a failed update. Also it helps to go offline, disable your security software , unplug any USB devices and use the BIOS update.

(Unless your on a desktop then you need a pointing device and your keyboard)

Also with Windows 8 - OEM activation has changed in order to curb piracy - When you first buy your computer, Windows Activates when you get an online connection. You won't know this key but Acer will know it. It's done to curb piracy and highly prevent people from reactivating the OS using the OEM Key (probably for key leak purposes)

If your under warranty Acer may be able to help you reinstall under the original key that was supplied with your system if you can prove your the owner of the system

Newer units will not have a COA anymore.

This discussion has been closed.