Can't boot from USB stick - Acer Aspire E15

frank4360
frank4360 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I want to be able to boot from a USB thumb drive/stick. There is no option in the Bios setup to do this.
I will have to return the system to the store - but what Acer system can I replace it with to boot from USB stick?

Best Answer

• frank4360
    Answer ✓

The Bios setup is "InsydeH20".

The boot options for a Legacy boot are

1 USB HDD

2 USB FDD

3 USB CDROM

4 ATAPI CDROM

5 HDD

6 Network boot IPV4

7 Network boot IPV6

This order was after I changed  to make the various USB boots early in the order in case one of them included a reference to the USB stick.

The boot options for UEFI boot are the same.

While researching the boot order for this reply I tried again with the USB stick connecting at power on, and it loaded from the stick without a problem!!

I simply don't understand what I was doing wrong before, but I obviously screwed up.

Sorry to waste your time, and thanks for your help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Check the options in the bios again. What boot priority options are listed?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• frank4360
    Answer ✓

The Bios setup is "InsydeH20".

The boot options for a Legacy boot are

1 USB HDD

2 USB FDD

3 USB CDROM

4 ATAPI CDROM

5 HDD

6 Network boot IPV4

7 Network boot IPV6

This order was after I changed  to make the various USB boots early in the order in case one of them included a reference to the USB stick.

The boot options for UEFI boot are the same.

While researching the boot order for this reply I tried again with the USB stick connecting at power on, and it loaded from the stick without a problem!!

I simply don't understand what I was doing wrong before, but I obviously screwed up.

Sorry to waste your time, and thanks for your help.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

sometimes USB stick appears under HDD, instead of USB HDD.

During boot press F12 and wait until Boot menu appears, try to select USB HDD, if this not works, select HDD and see if it list 2 devices (real HDD and USB stick)

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • freewave
    freewave Member Posts: 8 New User

I have 8 choices in my boot menu. first option is winows boot manager. Could you tell me where in the list I should put USB FFD.

Regards

• JackE

What are the other options and their priority? What are you trying to do?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• freewave

I want to run kali linux from a Thumb drive and already have done that from my dell lapop. The dell bios settings I had set where

1 cd/dvd

2 usb

3 diskette

4 internal hdd

onboard nic

and on my acer they are

1 windows boot manager

2 hdd

3 atapi cdrom

4 usb fdd

5 network boot ipv4

6 usb hdd

7 usb cdrom

8 network boot ipv6

as you can see it was quite easy to figurout on my dell. A lot has changed from five years ago and on this new bios that acer uses it is hard for me to grasp.

• JackE

If you're running Win8 or 8.1, probably the safest way is to enable the F12 key startup boot device menu option in the bios, if it hasn't already been done. Try tapping the F12 key on powering up to see if it's enabled. If it is, a boot device menu should appear. Select USB HDD. If it doesn't appear, enter the bios and enable the F12 key startup option. Report back.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• freewave

I enabled the F12 key and it booted into the boot menu,but there where no options listed it just said use up or down arrow to select option that dont exist.

Regards

• JackE

Did you have the bootstick in the slot?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• freewave

Yes I did have it pluged in. The only thing I can think of is that the windows boot manager was the only option and it was listed as no. 1 which of course is its position in the main bios boot menu. I am affraid to move it as it might have disasteres affects.

regards Ron

• JackE

Heh-heh. Would you be afraid to highlight and select the boot manager to see what it brings up?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• freewave

That may be doable. I guess i can hit esc. if its looks threatning

• freewave

Just boots up normally but a command window pops up  c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

Then another window pops up  c\program files (x86)\search extention\client.exe

With message    windows cannot find c:\program files (x86)\search extension\client.exe.Make sure you typed the name correcly and then try again.

I might have to try in moving that windows manager in the main boot list

regards

• JackE

What specific model and factory-installed Windows do you have?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• freewave

Aspire E15-571-59fg  windows 8.1 64bit

• JackE

>>>I might have to try in moving that windows manager in the main boot list>>>

You're probably OK with switching the USB HDD as first. Boot mgr 2nd. HDD 3rd. Don't try legacy mode though. Report back.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

PS: You may want to consider a virtual Linux with VMWare like I have on my AO722 (a SuSE distro). I'm also running Win98SE, WinXP on the same machine. Sometimes all at the same time. 

Jack E/NJ

• freewave

The error messages I was getting where the results of something,probably from the thumb drive,that created the search extension folder,thus causing the error message every time I booted.I moved that folder to another thumb drive for backup and tried another boot and no more  error message. I am not so sure that it might have something to do with security issue.

Might try that deffernt boot order however I don't want to run a virtual machine. I would rather have a dual boot option.

Regards Ron

• cg2916
    cg2916 Member Posts: 1 New User

For future users, if it STILL doesn't work, try booting with the USB in a different USB port. Sometimes the computer can be picky about which port the stick is in.

• Rahmatullah
    Rahmatullah Member Posts: 1 New User
    How to Add Usb option in boot perioty order
  • JackE
    Rahmatullah---This is a very old thread. Please start a new thread with your specific ACER model and number and Windows version. Thanks. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.