Bypass UEFI installing Win7

Options
ciekursegle
ciekursegle Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, I have Extensa 2510G, it ships only with Win8, but our company bought a lot of these notebooks and we need Win7 AND MBR partition. Drivers ARE NOT the problem. Problem is this - by isntalling Windows 7 it formats the partition with GPT partition table and makes the MSR partition, we need the hdd to be a MBR (Master Boot Record). GPT is not a option for us! Runing Windows 7 on virtual machine on Windows 8 is not a option too! In BIOS i switched to legacy mode, disabled UEFI mode, uefi security and all that stuff is disabled, but anyway the installation wants to partition the disk in GPT! Why?? Is it possible that every time the bios switches to UEFI mode automatically even if i turnd it off and choose legacy mode? Is there some way to get windows 7 on these machines with MBR? In old BIOSes (nonEFIbios) by default Win7 installs the OS and formats the partition in MBR any time and the optical boot devices start in legacy mode.

ALREADY TRIED: change modes / boot different optical devices, usb too and in different order / a lot of bios settings and the bios defaults (after make change, restart or switch off and turn on) / Win7 32bit installation and 64bit / make a image without drivers on other pc and then copy to acers hdd / format hdd with acronis to mbr prior to install windows 7 an then install - error / format hdd in cmd using diskpart prior to install win7 - error.. etc...

the error message is - Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. The EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks

DIDNT TRY: flash BIOS to never version..because dont think it will help..

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

it's very strange that BIOS reset itself to UEFI instead of loading on legacy.

i would try a BIOS update just to reset CMOS in case it was somewhat corrupted.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ciekursegle
    ciekursegle Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

BIOS update didnt solve anything!!!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Have you set "secure boot" to disable?

check if BIOS take "legacy" setting

try to completly wipe the HDD (no partitions, no format), only RAW data.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • pbrowngi
    pbrowngi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Can you tell me how to turn legacy mode on from boot? My screen got busted and hdmi isnt working. I cant see any thing.
  • stephanbb
    stephanbb Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi,

Same problem... do you find something to fix it ?

Thanks