BCD error

Dave_S
Dave_S Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

this is what I get after turning on my Acer Notebook model M5-581T:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data File is missing some required information.

File: \BCD

Error code: 0xc000000d

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

Problem is: keyboard is inop, won't accept external usb input, internal DVD drive isn't accepted either. I took out the hard drive and connected to a usb hub, all the files can be seen yet the computer won't boot to anythng, even tried a different win7 drive: says no boot device. Any suggestions? Its out of warranty.

Answers

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Since this laptop was shipped with Windows 8, you need to disable the secure boot settings in the BIOS. Then only the laptop will let you to boot from a different HDD or disc. To do that, follow the below.

Inser the Windows disc into the DVD drive.

Restart the computer and keep tapping the F2 key to enter into the BIOS.

Select Security tab and set Supervisor password.

Select Boot tab.

Disable Secure Boot.

Under Boot priority, set 1 as CD/DVD drive or HDD as you wish.

Press F10 key and select Yes.

While performing reset using the discs, all your personal data files and applications will be lost. backup all files before you proceed.

• Dave_S
    Dave_S Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanx, I finally got the darned thing to accept keyboard inputs by hitting F2 very fast as I powered on, was able to change the Bios settings.

• bobkat808
    bobkat808 Member Posts: 5 New User

hi, I think I have the same problem, same exact message but error code is 0xc0000098. This computer did not come with a recovery disc. I have tried alt and F10 during start up but it tells me that partition is missing? I have had nothing but trouble with this computer, it constantly loses the wifi driver and I have to reinstall often. But now, I cant do anything, please help. I am a definate end user, please simplify instructions! Thanx ahead, you rock!

• bobkat808
    bobkat808 Member Posts: 5 New User

Can anyone help a brotha out? Will I need to obtain a restore cd? Where can  I obtain the correct disc that I need? Struggling with fantasy football without a real computer.  Thank you Acer aces!