Aspire v5 Black screen

mike746
mike746 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi have a black screen on my v5 and i can't change the boot to cd or usb to fix it.

Can anyone help me on this one??

Mike

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,467 Trailblazer

Need more info. Win7? Win8? Does it seem to boot up even though you can't see the screen? If so, try the display toggle key combos after it seems to boot, Fn + F5 and Fn + F6.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mike746

It has  Win 8 and touch screen

I even tried hooking it up the another monitor, but same thing. I know the computer is working,the lights come on and the fan turns on now and then. But just cant see anything.

• JackE

So you have no physical keyboard to try the display toggle key combos?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• mike746

Nothing happends,getting very [word filter avoidance]

• mike746

Well it is had to say if the keyboard is working???

I can't tell...

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Mike, let me try to help. When you start it up, does the splash screen (It usually has an advertisement) come on? If so, then you have a hard drive problem.

If the splash screen does not come on, you might have a bad monitor cable, a bad monitor, or a bad BIOS chip. But you might be lucky: Look at the F keys at the top of your keyboard. One of them should have a picture of a black screen and a white screen. Start your computer and press the Fn key and the key with the picture of the two screens and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

• RikkiTikki
    RikkiTikki Member Posts: 8 New User

Vince53,

Hi

I'm having a similar problem with my Aspire 7750G... Originally shipped with Windows 7, and I recently tried to upgrade to Windows 8 because I was getting an error while trying to install a Karaoke program update " Install Shield 1628 - Failed To Complete Installation ", I had purchased the Windows 8 upgrade, and downloaded it to my desktop, for later use, because I considered it a bargain... at the time! Ha!  So I loaded Windows 8 a couple of days ago, and it requested an updated driver for the VGA screen, which I located on the AMD site, and loaded the most recent one, and downloaded the Karaoke program, and everything installed completely... all good so far... then I did all the Windows updates... and left the Laptop on over night (I usually leave it plugged in, and running 24/7... the next morning, I saw a black screen... figuring it had shut off during the night, I switched it on, and received the Acer logo, then the Windows 8 decal (4 Blue Panes), and the progress signal ( circular bubbles rotating ), then the screen flashes Grey then Black, a few times, and then solid grey (Black Screen)... no display, so I don't have any controls, to try and recover from Windows 8, or try to re-install Windows 7, from my revovery discs... can't tell what to look for, or change, since I have no display... Any Help will be appreciated...

Thanks In Advance!

Rick

• JackE

Rick>>>I am able to open ERecovery... Yeah!... Now I am Wondering If I Restore Operating System & Retain User Data... that my screen/monitor will be restored as well ?... or will I still have the black screen / flashing problem, along with my old Windows 7 configuration ???>>>

You have little to lose at this point! Try the restore & retain option!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Rick, when you upgraded to Windows 8, you lost your drivers. Any drivers you installed afterwards are either not designed for your system, or are not designed for Windows 8. But the good news is that you are probably just having a software conflict.

1) Try to get into Safe Mode and delete that karaoke program. Then run a deep scan with your anti-virus system.

2) Another option is to install your Windows 8 DVD and restart your computer. MAYBE you can reach the Windows 8 recovery screen and it will tell you what to do.

3) If all else fails, a good computer shop has a legal version of Windows 8 that will force itself into your operating system and straighten things out.

• RikkiTikki
    RikkiTikki Member Posts: 8 New User

Vince53,

Thanks! I am recovering Windows 7 through e-recovery, and recovery disks I made for Windows 7 for this computer... Since I hadn't made any recovery media for my Windows 8 install/download, I didn't have a way to recover... so I'm going back and using Windows 7 temporarily to get back most of my files, and aps... then I'll decide whether I re-load Windows 8 at this time and if I can get the Vender of Windows 8 that I bought from, to send me another download... We'll see? All I can do is ask, right?

P.S.

Recovery of Windows 7 using eRecovery, as well as my recovery discs stops at 99%... will try again in the morning... getting late... Thanks Again!

• rachelaspire
    rachelaspire Member Posts: 17 New User
    Hi am having this problem. The Acer logo comes on the screen but that's it. What did you do to resolve it?
  • Cylensed
    Cylensed Member Posts: 4 New User
    >>Rachel,
    Same here all I get is the logo and ten everything goes black. When I try pressing the keys nothing happens they just make that loud sort of ding sound. Its been like this for about a week and nothing has changed. Thanks to those who can help.
  • rachelaspire
    Hey I fixed mine. Does the blue light come on at all? There is a small hole on the underside, for a battery reset if you put a safety pin or paper clip and hole it for about thirty seconds - or look up battery reset - see if it works it should pull up a default screen
  • rachelaspire
    Mine ended up being software, comodo firewall, I had installed right before this happened. But every time the computer went to screensaver, or I wanted to turn it on, I had to reset e battery. Then I realized about comodo and wiped it out of my system. I haven't had the problem since.
  • Cylensed
    The blue light does come on, but the safety pin did not work.
  • Cylensed
    Could there be another cause besides the battery?
  • rachelaspire
    I don't know, I had to try it a couple of times before it actually worked - I may have held the power button for a full thirty seconds after that. Just keep it there, its hard to figure out if it has actually clicked the button. I ended up using a thumbtack and had to feel if it was depressing the button.
  • rachelaspire
    I have it written down somewhere what I actually did, I'll look for it and post later -
  • rachelaspire
    Eventually after I kept trying, the screen came on with the Acer logo
  • rachelaspire
    If you still have it on warranty you can call the the support number. I called it, it took forever and the guy actually put me on hold for like twenty minutes while he said he went to the bathroom. He was no help really, and told me to send it in, it was a hardware problem. Which it wasn't. I called the line a few times, finally I got somebody who actually knew about computers, b I'm telling you it took me hours to fix that thing.
This discussion has been closed.