Aspire v3-772g driver issues

sri23
sri23 Member Posts: 12 New User

Hi,

Just bought a Acer Aspire v3-772g (8 GB RAM, GTX 760M Nvidia GPU) without OS.

Installed Win 8 & all drivers. Was working fine untill I upgraded my BIOS from 1.05 to 1.11. Was a stupid mistake. Now my laptop throws a BSD every 5 minutes or so. Not able to work at all. Tried reinstaling windows & drivers several times

The main issue seems to be Intel VGA drivers. The issues start as soon as I install the VGA drivers downloaded from ACER . When I install the generic Intel HD 4600 drivers from Intel, the BSD are reduced but not eliminated. But the flickers quite a lot to the extent I get an eye strain.

When I disable the Intel HD 4600 display adapter from the control panel all seems to be stable. But then the laptop is only as useful as a chormebook.

Anybody knows a solution ? In some forum, I saw that downgrading to BIOS 1.08 sloves the problem. But not sure if I should attempt it.

I also read in other forums that many have issues with V3-772G. May be I should return the laptop an get another brand.

Regards

Sri

Best Answer

• sri23
    Answer ✓

***** Solved *****

I downgraded back to BIOS version 1.08. Required a quite a bit of courage to do that on a brand new laptop. But the laptop runs as smooth as ice and is running continously for 6 hrs without any BSOD or screen flickers. Have installed lot of software and played some games too.

So far not a single issue.

For all those who are thinking of a BIOS upgrade.

1. Never upgrade BIOS if your system is running fine. 

2. Create a recovery media first.

3. Create custom images to preserve your applications (use recimg. Google for help). If possible store the image in a different patition.

Answers

• sri23

BIOS 1.11 seems to be the problem. A friend who has the same laptop is on 1.08 and everything seems to be fine. Anybody knows how I can downgrade to 1.08 ? I need the update file. Acer has only the latest version.

• Erlington
    Erlington Member Posts: 19 New User

What if you reinstall the OS, Windows 8 needs UEFI mode and secure boot enabled for running well. Otherwise, Bios doesnt fail often and it is higly recommend to have the lastest version of the BIOS. 

• Jossevu
    Jossevu Member Posts: 3 New User

I also upgraded the BIOS of my V3 772G notebook (to the 1.11 version) and i can't acces windows anymore. I'm stuck in the advanced repair options and there are no options than make a difference. Even the "reset your pc" option (with fully clean drive) does not solve the problem.

Are there people who read this that have their bios upgraded to 1.11 with no problems? Let us know.

• sri23

Hi Jossevu,

Did you get the laptop with OS pre-installed or did you install windows on your own ?

If you had disabled secure boot before BIOS upgrade (i.e. changed boot mode from UEFI to Legacy) then you should have disabled it again before it booted. BIOS upgrade changes the settings to the default i.e. UEFI.  

If this was the case, change it back to Legacy and try to refresh / reset the laptop. It might work.

Regards

Sri

• sri23

Hi Erlington,

My laptop was without OS. I disabled UEFI and then installed the OS for the first time. After upgrade, I have tried to reinstall / refresh 7 times with differnt combinations of drivers / order of installation.

As I said, the problems appear as soon as I install the Intel VGA drivers. They also disapear once I disable Intel display adapter in the control panel.

• Jossevu

The OS was pre-installed.

I updated the bios in windows with the exe-file from the acer site.

I did not change UEFI to Legacy. Should I have changed it before the update? And will it matter now?

Regards,

Jossevu

• sri23

Hi Jossevu,

I think the best is to send it to Acer service. I assume you did not create a windows recovery disk. If you have access to any windows 8 installation disk then you can use it to reinstall. It will still use the OEM key in the BIOS. Even I had to reinstall after upgrading to 1.11.

• sri23
    Answer ✓

***** Solved *****

I downgraded back to BIOS version 1.08. Required a quite a bit of courage to do that on a brand new laptop. But the laptop runs as smooth as ice and is running continously for 6 hrs without any BSOD or screen flickers. Have installed lot of software and played some games too.

So far not a single issue.

For all those who are thinking of a BIOS upgrade.

1. Never upgrade BIOS if your system is running fine. 

2. Create a recovery media first.

3. Create custom images to preserve your applications (use recimg. Google for help). If possible store the image in a different patition.

• Jossevu

Ok, will do.

Thx for the help.

• catsado
    catsado Member Posts: 2 New User

Same here. Dear Acer fix it please. You can't have such problems on a high end laptop. This is just unreal. With BIOS 1.06 the laptop suffers from BSOD and display flickering(blinking), with BIOS 1.11 its even worse. The display almost can't stop flickering every 3 seconds or so. The only stable workout is to run BIOS 1.08, it seems that BIOS is the most stable and with it there are no BSOD and flickering problems. Oh yeah and dear Acer support please update your Intel VGA drivers also, because there are new drivers from Intel from this month but we can't install them because you have modifyed yours, be so kind and support your user that trow crazy money to buy your high end laptops. Thank you and I hope you will fix these problems.

• sri23

Hi catsado,

I did not install the VGA drivers from Acer but installed the generic drivers from Intel directly. Everything seems to be working fine. Is there anything special with the VGA drivers from Acer ?

And I fully, agree that Acer should focus more on the quality of drivers & firmware. Its frustrating to buy a 1000+ Euro laptop only to find that getting a stable configuration requires a hard fight & hacks. Almost impossible for end-users who are not tech savvy. As an immediate solution, Acer can atleast allow dowloads for older & stable verisons of BIOS. I had to search around a lot for a reliable version of 1.08 BIOS.

• StrangeQuark
    StrangeQuark Member Posts: 3 New User

I too made the mistake of upgrading my BIOS to version 1.11.

I managed to download version 1.08 from the Acer web site by clicking "All" instead of the default "Latest". However, I can't seem to perform the downgrade. When I run VA70V108.exe, I get this error message: "The version of ROM file is not newer than that of BIOS." and the program exits.

Can anyone tell me how to force the downgrade? It would be greatly appreciated.

• catsado
    catsado Member Posts: 2 New User

sri23 My research lead me to beleive that the screen flickering and BSOD problems are only BIOS related. With BIOS v 1.08 there are no problem at all. The laptop is stable and running well for more than a week. About the Intel VGA drivers published from Acer it seems they do make some changes to them... And if you already got those install you can't update them with the latest VGA drivers from Intel. Thats why I hope Acer will build a new version and upload it on their support page.

StrangeQuark Dear friend. The solution for downgrading the BIOS is as follow.  Unpack the VA70V108.exe with something like WinRar or 7-Zip and then in the platform.ini find "[Bios_Version_Check]" and change "flag=1" to "flag=0" after that save the ini file and run the InsydeFlash.exe as administrator. Thats how I have downgraded my BIOS.

I advice everybody not to use BIOS v1.06 and v1.11 as  there are buggy as hell and you may get a headache from all that flickering. And yes I'm really disapointed in Acer for publishing such buggy firmware on a high end device and not providing a stable and fast solution.

• StrangeQuark

Thank you, catsado! That did the trick. Smiley Happy

Needless to say, I am very disappointed with the quality of the released firmware as well.

• Erlington
    Erlington Member Posts: 19 New User

that is the community strenght xD!!!. Please people report that mistake to acer support deparment of your respective countries, that kind of mistake needs to be solved inmediatly. I have reported in my country.

• witchwq
    witchwq Member Posts: 2 New User

catsado wrote:

sri23 My research lead me to beleive that the screen flickering and BSOD problems are only BIOS related. With BIOS v 1.08 there are no problem at all. The laptop is stable and running well for more than a week. About the Intel VGA drivers published from Acer it seems they do make some changes to them... And if you already got those install you can't update them with the latest VGA drivers from Intel. Thats why I hope Acer will build a new version and upload it on their support page.

You can install generic drivers from Intel. Just go to Device Manager first and uninstall those from Acer website (I think it will ask you to reboot the computer). After the reboot you will be able to install those from Intel website (I did it multiple times).

I updated my BIOS to 1.11 as soon as it got out, and have no problem with it at all. The only flickering I saw was when I was playing with Win 7 installation and then, in fact, after installing graphics drivers I got flickering (and it was on BIOS ver. 1.06). But that was on Win 7, never happened on Win 8. Strange.

• gnize
    gnize Member Posts: 1 New User

Has anyone been able to uncover the hidden menu in acer v3 772g bios? either by mod or just function? Im currently on bios 1.08 and im trying to unlock hidden menu in the bios. I want to do some overclocking and to turn off the anoying intel graphics car on this laptop.

• ksprs56
    ksprs56 Member Posts: 1 New User

Sorry but when i extract files from .rar i get no platform.ini file. where can i find it??

• carlstar
    carlstar Member Posts: 1 New User
    So downgrading from the uninstalled 1.11, which i should not have to do at all, can i get paid for doing acer's job? Currently i have the new laptop siting on the box it came in, waiting for a solution that doesn't cause yet another failure. It fixes HDMI sound issues? USB 3.0 issues? Some other random PCI and another drive problem i can't remember as there seem to be too many that just don't work and of course the latest and greatest which was probably due to acer not actually being compatible with the intel CPU, the driver_power_state_FAILURE...
  • StrangeQuark

Has anyone been brave enough to try out version 1.15?

This discussion has been closed.