Aspire V5-571 cant access Bios nor boot into win 8

Options
snocs
snocs Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello, i was given the above mentioned laptop model by a friend to do a fresh install of win 8 on it.

I followed the steps in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGiG1oljjZI however when i clicked restart now (sec ~30 in the video) i did not receive the option screen seen in the video. Instead i was greeted by a black screen with moue cursor support. Ever since doing that i cannot boot into win8 nor can i get access to BIOS so i can set the dvd as my primary boot device in order to try a fresh install of the OS. I have tried mashing the F2 key while the laptop starts/holding shift/F10/Alt+F10 and all sorts of other combinations that came out while searching for answers to this issue both on this forum and google. I also tried these steps with a usb keyboard plugged just in case...well i don't know. Each time the same thing happens: i receive a black screen on which i can move the cursor and that's about it.

Any suggestions on how i can access BIOS would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• snocs
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ty silizium, I was going to do that as a last resort as it is a pain to get access to the HDD for this particular model seeing as you have to take apart the entire laptop but in the end I had to do just that.
    Anyway I will put together a small walkthrough of how I fixed this in case anyone else encounters this issue.

1. I disassembled the laptop to get access to the HDD and removed it.
    2. Once the HDD was out I was able to access the UEFI by pressing F2.
    3. Took all of the HDD`s out of my PC and connected the one from the laptop in order to install a fresh copy of win8. I did this to make sure that win would boot from this HDD (not sure but it has something to do with the boot.ini or something like that, I cant remember exactly as its been a long time since I had problems with that thing).
    4. Installed win8, everything looking good on my PC. Removed HDD from PC, connected it to the laptop and after post I got a message "Operating system not found". At this point I could access UEFI however was not able to boot from DVD or USB or boot into win8 no matter what I chose in the boot priority. Both DVD and USB would work as bootable media on my PC.
    5. Switched from UEFI to Legacy BIOS, restarted laptop and did not receive "Operating system not found" and was able to boot into win8 and could also boot from DVD/USB as normally expected.
    So in conclusion UEFI=bad, BIOS=good, or I am missing something quite obvious.

A bit of a pain to be honest but hey I got the thing working again.

Answers

• silizium
    silizium Member Posts: 239 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Disconnect your hard disk, enter BIOS, make settings, connect your hard disk, boot.

• snocs
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ty silizium, I was going to do that as a last resort as it is a pain to get access to the HDD for this particular model seeing as you have to take apart the entire laptop but in the end I had to do just that.
    Anyway I will put together a small walkthrough of how I fixed this in case anyone else encounters this issue.

1. I disassembled the laptop to get access to the HDD and removed it.
    2. Once the HDD was out I was able to access the UEFI by pressing F2.
    3. Took all of the HDD`s out of my PC and connected the one from the laptop in order to install a fresh copy of win8. I did this to make sure that win would boot from this HDD (not sure but it has something to do with the boot.ini or something like that, I cant remember exactly as its been a long time since I had problems with that thing).
    4. Installed win8, everything looking good on my PC. Removed HDD from PC, connected it to the laptop and after post I got a message "Operating system not found". At this point I could access UEFI however was not able to boot from DVD or USB or boot into win8 no matter what I chose in the boot priority. Both DVD and USB would work as bootable media on my PC.
    5. Switched from UEFI to Legacy BIOS, restarted laptop and did not receive "Operating system not found" and was able to boot into win8 and could also boot from DVD/USB as normally expected.
    So in conclusion UEFI=bad, BIOS=good, or I am missing something quite obvious.

A bit of a pain to be honest but hey I got the thing working again.

This discussion has been closed.