Aspire V5-552PG touchscreen stopped working after Win 8.1 upgrade

djslater
djslater Member Posts: 4 New User

My touchscreen on the laptop stopped working properly after I upgraded to Windows 8.1. I tried installing a few different drivers, and the touchscreen will work temporarily, until I put the computer to sleep and wake it up again. Also, I get an error message that a "USB Device fails" when the touchscreen stops working....not sure what that's about.

Anyone have similar problems? I'd really like it if I could find a simple fix to this, I've already tried drivers, installing/unistalling things...normal maintenance. I'm a little annoyed because I spent a lot of money on this laptop, and the reason was becuase of the touchscreen.....

Answers

• djslater

well, i just updated windows and now my keyboard and mouse dont work....the touchscreen is workkng right now....but not sure for how long...the device manager has the same error messages for this problem...ive tried enabling/disabling the devices...and tried updating the xrivers...no luck, this is getting ridiculous....someone from acer really needs to contact me...

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Sorry you are having trouble with your touchscreen. Can you please try the steps outlined in the first post on http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Touchscreen-Not-Working-Aspire-V5-571-Notebook/td-p/17123/page/4 and see if it resolves your issue?

• djslater

Hi Blayn, Thank you for getting back to me.

I have tried those steps several times already.

My main concern now is that the keyboard and mouse are not working. I am writing this reply from another computer. Unless I restart the computer, and have the touchscreen work, I will not be able to use an input device on this computer now...

I haven't tried an external (USB) keyboard or mouse yet...that is my next step for that problem.

But, clearly there is a MAJOR series of problems with this unit/model/software if the touchscreen, mouse, and keyboard are all functioning improperly, and/or sporatically. I received the unit on May 28th...and spent $800+...this should not be happening.

What else can we do to fix this problem(s)?

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

I agree that you should not be having problems with a new system, and I apologize for the problems you are having.  Windows 8.1 can overwrite drivers, which can cause problems, but they should be able to be corrected by installing the correct drivers. At this point, my best recommendation would be to try to restore the operating system, and attempt the upgrade to Win 8.1 again. Before you upgrade, I would suggest testing the hardware after recovery, to make sure you don't have a physical hardware problem. I have a similar system that I have upgraded here with no problems at all, so hopefully restoring and updating again will resolve your problems.

• djslater

I restored the operating system while maintaining all my files. This seemed to solve the problem(s). I have not, and probably will not, try upgrading to Windows 8.1 until I have to....All of these problems began after I upgraded.

This discussion has been closed.