Aspire V3-772G Windows 8.1 USB 3.0 driver problem

Options
vasco_tech88
vasco_tech88 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter

Hello all,

I bought my V3-772G about 1 month ago.

Yesterday everything was working fine and today i noticed than none of the 4 USB ports were working (laptop was suspended since yesterday)

No USB connected sound, nothing. Mouse/pendrive/HDDs/... does not work.

I noticed that on the device manager I had problems with the "USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver" as the driver was not loaded. I saw online people saying to unistall and reboot. Did that and again no USB working, on device manager, the device with problems was now "USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller".

I tried the following with NO success:

-Downloaded "USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver" from Intel website (available only for W7) - Didnt work

-Full windows restart - The same

-Unplugged battery and power for some mins, rebooted - Same

-Deleted all USB devices (hubs and so on), rebooted - Same

-Unistalled all updates from 2 days before (till the point I know it was working) - Driver dates changed to month before - Same result

-Tried to search on BIOS to disable USB3.0 and put 2.0 - Did not find

-Tried to go back to other restore point - Didnt work, complained that disk may be corrupted

-Executed Widnows chkdsk /r several times - No errors found - Nothing solved

-Executed chkdsk /r - Stuck at 16% but i guess its needs all night (TODO) - Solved nothing

-Tried to make a repair without loosing files (using recovery partitions) - Still guessing how

Any idea or any help? They just stopped working. I bough laptop already with windows 8.1 and they worked for 1 month

Thanks

---UPDATE1---

I used command prompt (via windows recovery on boot) and copied all files from backup drive (i guess) X:\Windows\System32\Drivers\usb* to local drive C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Rebooted - Still nothing

Best Answer

• vasco_tech88
    Answer ✓
    Options

[Problem solved!]

Here is what you can try:

1) Make sure there that the file ntbtlog.txt located in C:\Windows is removed (to clean the logs)

2) Enable boot log to check which driver will fail to load:

Option A: 

1) Open command prompt as Administrator

2) Write "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy" to enable the legacy startup with F8 (dont forget to change the parameters after this guide)

3) Reboot and press F8

4) Select to boot with log enabled

Option B:

1) Press "WIN+R" and write "msconfig"

2) In the boot tab, select the option "boot log"

3) Apply changes and reboot (dont forget to change the parameters after this guide)

3) Check the failed drivers in the log file (C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt) (in my case i had failure for the driver "ucx01000.sys")

4) After researching online (Source) i saw the USB3.0 stack is composed by 3 files hosting with the xHCI Host Controller: Usbhub3.sys, Ucx01000.sys and Usbxhci.sys.

5) Reboot the laptop and press "ALT+F10" to enter in ACER recovery menu

6) Select "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced options", then "Command Prompt"

7) You will be located in drive "X:" and folder "system32" of the recovery drive

8) Write "cd drivers"

9) Write "copy Usbhub3.sys C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\" (If it asks for overwriting, answer "Yes")

10) Write "copy Ucx01000.sys C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\" (If it asks for overwriting, answer "Yes")

11) Write "copy Usbxhci.sys C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\" (If it asks for overwriting, answer "Yes")

12) Write "exit"

13) Reboot your laptop and you should be able to use USB again Smiley Happy

14) Disable the boot option if you used the Option B.

In my case, the file "Ucx01000.sys" was missing from the drivers folder.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

Click support button at the top of this page. Click your country. Click contact Acer. And get technician phone or chat support using your machine's id now. Don't mess around with it any more. Arrange for this support now since you're under warranty.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vasco_tech88
    Answer ✓
    Options

[Problem solved!]

Here is what you can try:

1) Make sure there that the file ntbtlog.txt located in C:\Windows is removed (to clean the logs)

2) Enable boot log to check which driver will fail to load:

Option A: 

1) Open command prompt as Administrator

2) Write "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy" to enable the legacy startup with F8 (dont forget to change the parameters after this guide)

3) Reboot and press F8

4) Select to boot with log enabled

Option B:

1) Press "WIN+R" and write "msconfig"

2) In the boot tab, select the option "boot log"

3) Apply changes and reboot (dont forget to change the parameters after this guide)

3) Check the failed drivers in the log file (C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt) (in my case i had failure for the driver "ucx01000.sys")

4) After researching online (Source) i saw the USB3.0 stack is composed by 3 files hosting with the xHCI Host Controller: Usbhub3.sys, Ucx01000.sys and Usbxhci.sys.

5) Reboot the laptop and press "ALT+F10" to enter in ACER recovery menu

6) Select "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced options", then "Command Prompt"

7) You will be located in drive "X:" and folder "system32" of the recovery drive

8) Write "cd drivers"

9) Write "copy Usbhub3.sys C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\" (If it asks for overwriting, answer "Yes")

10) Write "copy Ucx01000.sys C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\" (If it asks for overwriting, answer "Yes")

11) Write "copy Usbxhci.sys C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\" (If it asks for overwriting, answer "Yes")

12) Write "exit"

13) Reboot your laptop and you should be able to use USB again Smiley Happy

14) Disable the boot option if you used the Option B.

In my case, the file "Ucx01000.sys" was missing from the drivers folder.

• DrAlloway
    DrAlloway Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I have similar problem:: USB ports are dead.

How can I check if this is Hardware or Software problem ??

older Aspire 1410 running Windows 7

one USB port on Left of laptop is still working

two USB ports on Right of laptop have stopped working

even little light on thumb drive doesn't not light when plugged into two Left USB ports

?? any suggestions please ??

• JackE
    Options

Check for erros or warnings in Device Mgr. When did you discover the other ports were dead? Any new software installed around the time?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DrAlloway
    Options

I went thru Device Manager and all the entries under USB say they are working correctly and that there are no conflicts.

No new software installed around the time my two Right USB ports went dead.  Except, of course, Windows and MacAfee updates which can't be stopped.

• JackE
    Options

>>>Windows and MacAfee updates which can't be stopped.>>>

They can be stopped or otherwise updated or not at your disgression. It's in the settings thru Win control panel or MacAfee's equivalent.

Try plugging in your USB stick into the right ports and check Device Mgr messages again.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• DrAlloway
    Options

Forget Windows & McAfee updates.

My problem is 2 dead USB ports.

I have tried again and again to get thumb drives, mice, GPS, DVD player, etc to be recognized by these ports - NADA.

I tried again, just no with the simplest thumb drive which has worked several times today in other computers.

One of the earlier posters provided a screen shot of his Device Manager / USB listing - mine looks basically the same as his.  There are no devices listed when thumb drive is plugge in - just that long list of USB Controllers and Hubs.

Is there a method to test of PORT is dead (hardware malfunction) ?

Is there is way to test if SOFTWARE is confused ?

• JackE
    Options

>>>Forget Windows & McAfee updates.>>>

Active AV software sometimes interferes with correct driver installations and/or operation.

>>>Is there a method to test of PORT is dead (hardware malfunction) ?>>>

No software-based method that I know of especially since Device Mgr doesn't seem to detect internal USB hub problems with this unilateral issue. It's possible the physical connector between the ports and the MB, esp if a ribbon cable, simply came loose or needs to be re-seated. I suggest that you remove the battery and back cover to check if these connections are soldered-in or made with a ribbon. If soldered-in, it's likely a conductor trace or solder connections has cracked. If ribbons, try re-seating them and before putting everything back together again, carefully re-insert the battery and test the ports.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• DrAlloway
    Options

I pulled battery and back cover off laptop.

The harddrive covers the connections to both Right USB ports.

As best as I can peak between components it looks like the USB ports on mounted on the MB.

At this point I am willing to believe these two USB ports are hardware dead.

However, Device Manager details keeps saying they are working correctly with no conflicts.

Why would Device Manager think they are OK if it had No Electrical contact with ports ??

• JackE
    Options

The USB port connectors are just dead ends when no device is connected to them. So if there's a break in the traces leading to the unconnected connectors, the USB hardware logic on the MB probably won't detect that the dead end is at the break rather than at the port. However, if there indeed is a trace break or three, you may (or may not) get a handshaking error detected when a USB device is plugged in.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.