Aspire V3 772G OEM/generic touchpad drivers not working - missing gestures and keyboard freeze

Options
grandesballo
grandesballo Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi,

I have an Aspire V3 772G, Serial number: [edited for privacy]

I used to have a Synaptics touchpad, which was replaced with a new one when assistance replaced the top shell of the laptop which was broken.

The new one has these ID:

ACPI\VEN_SYN&DEV_1B66
ACPI\SYN1B66
*SYN1B66

Despite the name, some sites say it's a Synaptic touchpad, others say it's an ELAN Touchpad.

When I had the previous trackpad, everything worked, including multigestures.

This new trackpad works only with 1 finger. I've installed the Synaptics drivers found on this page, but even 2 fingers scrolling is not listed in the options (they aren't greyed out, they're not present at all). The only thing I can do is pointing and clicking.

I've tried to install the ELANTECH driver but when I rebooted both keyboard and touchpad were disabled. I had to connect an external mouse and, using the virtual keyboard, fix the registry to get them back to work (I described the procedure here - message 7).

The generic Synaptics driver downloaded from the Synaptic website can't be installed, instalation fails.

How can I fix this? I'm a mouse user, but the touchpad is handy when I'm not at home.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

Hmmm? Most of the places I looked listed it as Synaptic. I doubt it's Elan from those numbers and letters. Anyway, here's another slightly different Win8 version to try.

http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1878787

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• grandesballo
    Options

Thank you, but I don't trust DriverGuide as some users reported malware coming from that site. Is that driver available on the Acer website?

• JackE
    Options

Yeah, I understand your reluctance. I too feel wary about many download sites --- now even some of the old sites that I trusted in the past. When I said slightly, I was judging it by the version number. The Acer versions were 16.3.4.5 and 17.0.6.17. The above link I posted was 16.3.12.31. a little newer perhaps than the Acer Win8 driver, and a little older than the Acer Win8.1 driver.  If it was mine, I'd be tempted try some of the older Win7 and Win8 Synaptic drivers listed for the V3 571G.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• grandesballo
    Options

I tried the V3 571G drivers. It didn't work.

I unistalled the mouse drivers and uninstalled every other mouse from device management in control panel.

Then I installed another version of synaptics drivers, but I always end up with this setting (the window title says that I have a standard pointing device instead of a Synaptics Touchpad version X.X:

synaptics issue.PNG

If I click on the Synaptics icon in the taskbar and then tools > MoodPad, for example, I get this error: "MoodPad requires Synaptics Touchpad and Synaptics pointing device driver".

Also, "tap to click is greyed out.

This is complete nonsense!

Edit: I got the part number of the new touchpad, can you check is the same of your V3 772G pc?

Part number: 55.M8SN5.003

Description: TOUCHPAD BD.BLACK.W/FFC

• JackE
    Options

Thanks for the part number. Let me do some checking.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.