Aspire V3-771 laptop running win8 shuts off when gaming or viewing some videos?

thegodhour
thegodhour Member Posts: 2 New User

My Aspire V3-771 is a little over a year old now. I don't know much about computers, but i do enjoy several pc games, and watch a lot of streaming videos. when doing so my computer almost always shuts itself off, even while running games that could hardly be called graphic intensive. I'd thought it might be an overheating issue? but i don't think that's the case. 

I've also noticed that, within the task manager, the disk will often jump to 100%.

any thoughts?

again, for months after i bought the mahine, it worked perfectly fine. many of the programs that it used to run, now cause it to shut down without warning. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

>>>I'd thought it might be an overheating issue? but i don't think that's the case. >>>

What evidence suggests to you that this is not the case?

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• thegodhour
    thegodhour Member Posts: 2 New User

well, i'd noticed the disk running at such a high rate, so iassumed it was just overworking itself there and hitting some sort of auto-shut down limit. we keep the laptop elevated and on cool surfaces. again, i don't know much about computers, so i guess the real answer to your question is: i don't know. 

there's an amount of stuttering that happens before it shuts off. things get really sluggish and then it just shuts off. sometimes if i restart it directly after it turns itself off, it will shut down again, before it even gets out of the booting phase. 

all i want to do is play ftl. Smiley Sad

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

>>> sometimes if i restart it directly after it turns itself off, it will shut down again, before it even gets out of the booting phase. >>>

To me, at least, this also suggests overheating from dust bunnies clogging the intake port or the CPU fan. I first suggest simply trying to vacuum the air intake port or blowing thru the exhaust port to see if you can chase them out and make a difference. Report back with results.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.