Aspire Switch 10 Factory Recovery Backup

Bob-Bob
Bob-Bob Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Performed Factory Recovery Backup to 32GB USB drive as recommended by the Aspire Switch 10 Manual which said "a minimum of 16GB of space would be required".  Instructions on Backup screen says only 8GB required. Backup actually took up only 5.8GB!  Backed up again to another 32GB USB drive to check this & again took up only 5.8GB.  Apparently neither the Manual nor the backup screen are correct as to how much space is needed. Why the discrepancy?  I don't know if I have a good backup or not since I got only 5.8GB on my USB drive on both of my attempts. Had similar problem with Drivers & Applications backup.  Manual says it may take several DVDs, but Backup Screen says only one disk, or about 0.33GB.  Performed this backup twice and both times all I got on my USB drive was a shortcut of 1KB to the "Resource Center", whatever that is!  Has anyone else had similar results.  It would seem that both backups could be made to one 8GB USB drive if my results are correct.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Yes, there are some discrepancy on the recovery backup.

i would suggest you to use the windows 8.1 integrated utility instead of the Acer erecovery.

you can do a full system image, so you don't have to re-install everything (programs, settings) to an usb drive and create a recovery USB media to boot from and re-load the system image and help you to fix boot issues.

i suggest you to do a system image when you have all your programs installed and tested the system is stable.

Recovery drive:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

full system image:

To open System Image Backup

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

2. Enter File History in the search box, tap or click File History, and then click System Image Backup.

3. System image backup appears on the bottom left of your screen, it can take a while to appear, so be patient. Smiley Happy
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

Yes, there are some discrepancy on the recovery backup.

i would suggest you to use the windows 8.1 integrated utility instead of the Acer erecovery.

you can do a full system image, so you don't have to re-install everything (programs, settings) to an usb drive and create a recovery USB media to boot from and re-load the system image and help you to fix boot issues.

i suggest you to do a system image when you have all your programs installed and tested the system is stable.

Recovery drive:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

full system image:

To open System Image Backup

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

2. Enter File History in the search box, tap or click File History, and then click System Image Backup.

3. System image backup appears on the bottom left of your screen, it can take a while to appear, so be patient. Smiley Happy
  • Bob-Bob

Thanks for the help.  I did as suggested and apparently the Recovery Backup was created OK using the W8.1 routine.  Did this also copy the drivers or do I still need to use the Acer program to back up the drivers?

• IronFly
    The recovery drive will just help you to boot and solve some issues on booting.

The system image backup do an exact copy of your system, so you will have all the things you had installed at the moment.
  • Bob-Bob

Tried to make the full system image.  Had following problems.  First, message that could not use a USB drive due to type of formatting.  Only other choice with the Switch 10 was to an external micro SD disk.  When tried this, got message that

"Class not registered (0x80040154". 

• IronFly

USB must be format as FAT32 or better NTFS.

about the error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2934165/en-us

it's about BD-R but probably can be related to microSD too, by the way i will never use a microSD to do a system image, since i doubt the recovery media will be able to read from the microSD reader.

please use a properly formatted USB pen, i did it this way and worked.

• Bob-Bob

Formatted a 32GB USB as NTSF and labeled it "Aspire System Image".  When I go to the System Image Backup screen, it finds it, but when I select it to use I get message "The drive is not a valid backup location"!!

• IronFly

Probably need a bigger one. Smiley Happy

• Bob-Bob

I don't think that should be the problem.  My Switch 10 came with only 32GB of internal storage for pre-installed Windows plus the programs & files that I might add. The File Manager shows that about a third of that is still unused. It would seem that there should be plenty of space on the 32GB USB to contain the image backup.

• IronFly
    If you can, try with a bigger one, need to be more than the full storage.
  • Bob-Bob

Higher capacity USB still not recognized as valid backup location.  Tried an exernal 32GB micro SD card.  The backup routine found it and I selected it to use.  It started out ok, but when it had done about 4GB it said I needed to insert another drive.  I tried twice with same result.  I finally used a 250GB exernal HD that had 45GB of unused space left on it.  The system found it and indicated it completed the backup, so I guess it's there.  It put about 25GB of something on the HD anyway!  Thanks for all your help and suggestiions.

• IronFly
    You welcome.
  • jhpena
    jhpena Member Posts: 8 New User

HI

do you happen to have an image for a Sw 12 Aspire switch 10 32GB??

I messed up formating c: drive and installed win10 preview to test it. Left the other partitions untouched

I did the recovery USB also.

However, when i tried to go back to win 8.1 none of the procedures in the manual work.

The usb with the recovery an drivers is not bootable. the recovery partition in the SSD stills there but cannot boot from it

dont know what else to do. tried everything...  can anyone please share an image from their system ???

regards

• IronFly

if your USB recovery pen is not bootable, you can try to make it on another pc using diskpart

insert your USB recovery pen

open a command prompt with administrator rights

type

diskpart

type

list disk

(take note of the USB pen number)

type

select disk x

(x is the number of your pen)

type

list partition

(take note of the recovery partition number)

type

select partition x

(x is the number of your recovery partition

type

active

type

exit

now try to boot from this USB pen

• jhpena
    jhpena Member Posts: 8 New User

k you for your response.

I finally ended up sending the tablet back to service centre to get it fixed.

Thank you very much!

• djwaggy
    djwaggy Member Posts: 2 New User

I tried DVDs plus & Minus,64gb Flash Drive,& 1TB Ext Hard Drive and none of them workedI got the same messages as previous answers,only way left is to Micro Sd Card but someone tried that and it did not work,Acer are going to be in trouble after Windows 10 starts.

• raucouscobra
    raucouscobra Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Bob Bob - I can tell you doing a full backup using Acer Recovery Mgmt util using 8GB USB drive should work just fine.  The util should take care of all the formatting, etc. I have used it for recovery twice during my Windows 10 installs.

• djwaggy
    djwaggy Member Posts: 2 New User

I managed to create a Drivers & Applications Back Up but I wanted a full system backup this is where you have become confused.