Aspire R7 hardware failing

Options
newmanme
newmanme Member Posts: 5 New User

Okay, I fell in love with and purchased the Aspire R7. Now, let me give you some background. I am 47, am a Senior Network Administrator/Engineer and have never purchased my own laptop. The Aspire R7 was and is the perfect laptop for a tech junkie like me.

My loyalty with Acer goes back 20 years or so, I still have a DX2/66 Tower running NT 4.0 server as a file server. That tower is the best PC on the planet, still. I have been purchasing acer monitors since their returnin 05-06, I have put thousands of Acer monitors on my users desktops. I just did a dual install of Acer 27" touch screens at a dental office with just built out, a long with about 25 22" acer lcd's.

Acer has never let me down until now and I am at a loss. My hard drive is failing in my Aspire R7, checkdisk is repairing errors everyday. I have tried twice with Acer's tech support only to be told, "sure we'll get you a new one out, but we have to hold a few hundred dollars of your money hostage because we don't trust you".

My heart is broken, my loyalty meant nothing to them. about 8 of my fellow classmates have bought the Aspire R& because they saw mine and I raved over it. I look like a complete fool.

Thank you Acer, I know how important loyal business customers are to you now.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that you're HDD is giving you trouble. Were you able to come to a solution with our support team? According to your info it looks like you're in the US so I can speak directly about their process. It sounds like you weren't happy with what is termed an Advanced Exchange where a collateral hold is placed against a credit card so that we can immediate ship the part to you. This is a fairly standard procedure for many products not just computers or hardware. I understand the process is irritating as no one wants to deal with hardware issues but it is the only way for Acer to secure the defective hard drive which we will return to our vendor and that is how we are able to keep prices down.

I talked to the support team about other options and said that they can obviously offer to repair the unit or another option is receive the defective drive and we'll send the new drive out. There is not credit card requirement for this process. If either of these interest you feel free to PM me with your Serial Number and I'll ask our Level 2 staff to give you a call and get this resolved for you.

• MDacerGuy
    MDacerGuy Member Posts: 39

Tinkerer

Options

yeah simply putting money "on hold" is common and streamlines the process

you'll get your unit right away,with no down time.

which you would if you had to send unit in......wait for fix...and then have it shipped back

This discussion has been closed.