Aspire 8930G battery won't charge.

Chris_top_he_r
Chris_top_he_r Member Posts: 5 New User

I've been trying to help an 8930G owner complete a repair.  8930G works fine with AC power.  He has replaced the battery with several new ones.  They won't charge.  He has also replaced the motherboard and has the same situation.  The Acer 8930G service manual says the following on page 67.

AcerManHelpP67.PNG

Anyone know what part the DC/DC charger board is?

It also says on page 77...

AcerManHelpp77.PNG

anyone know what part that is?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

It's more likely a bad connection than a bad power or battery connection board. If it were mine, I'd pop the covers off again, re-seat all the accessible connectors and untighten/retighten screws for minor boards particularly those near the battery connections and charger jack.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris_top_he_r

Thank you very much, I appreciate your comments.  At this point however, the unit has been reassembled probably a dozen times or more.  In my original statement I believe I noted the motherboard was even replaced, and the unit will still not successfully charge a battery, although it will run off a charged battery or AC power.  Trying to find which part those boards are, with absolute certainty.  Looking for surge protection circuitry for the battery, similar to fusable link.

• JackE

I'd still go back and forth over the areas BETWEEN the charger jack and the battery connectors with a magnifying glass and a fine tooth comb. From your description, that's where the problem is since the unit works fine with a plug or a charged battery.

BTW, searching for the charger or connection board sometimes refers to it as a power board. Found some Acer replacements on Amazon but not for the 8930 series. Maybe some of them look enough like what's inside the 8930G to help you identify it.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris_top_he_r

Thanks again.  However, at this point I understand these things have already been done.  This is why I'm trying to identify these boards with certainty.

• JackE

Ignore my last response. Wrong Aspire info. Will get back to you. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

This is what the power board looks like from http://www.parts4computers.co.uk/laptop-computer-parts/boards-cards/laptop-daughterboards.html?manufacturer=27. Saw the same thing in a few different places. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris_top_he_r

Yes I've seen this part.  It looks similar to a different board with slightly different shape as though for a different model.  Thanks for your help, but I think I'll have to get the details of whats going on from Acer.

• JackE

Good luck. Factories (not just Acer) sometime install different sub-boards for identical production models. So unfortunately about the only way to be 100% sure is comparing the machine's SNID and production run documentation. You might want to download the results of a google keyword search "8930g" "service manual" to see if you can get better info than that in the owners manual.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris_top_he_r

That's true.  Have been working with service manual, not owner's manual.  Still unclear.  Have two contacts at Acer now, one of whom may return my call soon.  I hope so.  Thanks again.  Good luck with things.

This discussion has been closed.