Aspire 7740G Boot/keyboard problems

anopheles
anopheles Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Aspire 7740G-6930 and it has an issue where there is a constant POST beeping upon startup, and I cannot load any OS. I know that the keyboard is going to need to be replaced because there is a missing key, but could a defective keyboard cause this behavior? Also I cannot type anything on the keyboard.

That being said, if I disconnect the defective keyboard, will the system actually get past POST, because the system itself will recognize an external USB keyboard, until I get the funds to buy me a replacement for the onboard keyboard. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

BIOS at boot can check and give errors if keyboard is missing and don't pass POST.

By the way continuos beeping can be also other issues as bad ram module, HDD missing.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • anopheles
    anopheles Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you for the reply.  It seems like the keyboard is just sending a signal like a key is stuck down or something and it keeps typing it over and over and over again, and hence, the system doesn't want to boot.  Very perplexing problem, never really seen this one before.

This discussion has been closed.