Aspire 5560-7439 Unrecoverable CD

sammohanty
sammohanty Member Posts: 6 New User

My laptop crashed once again. Used the recovery discs to recover it. Installation went fine as usual. However this time, it came up with the error message

BOOTMGR is missing

Hit CnR-Alt_Del to restart. 

No matter what I do, it goes back to the same screen.

Tried placing the recovery CD's. Fails to read

Tried to review the F2 setup. Nothing

Tried the F12 reboot from the optical drive. 

Yes it fails to read the recovery CD any longer. 

I guess the BOOTMGR is corrupted,

Is there any other step I need to take? 

If I purchase the system CD from Acer, will it help? 

Any advise will be appreciated, 

Computer is hardly being used as the family member who uses it is always at work even over the weekend, so cannot figure out what went wrong? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

You say it crashed once again. How many times has it crashed? Likely hard drive failure.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sammohanty

crashed approx 4-5 times at different intervals in a span of 1 year. this time it crashed but using the recoverable discs, i repaired it to factory defaults. 

However, my sister without realising there was MCcafee already installed tried to install Nortons and that became a unrecoverable crash.

What do you suggest? thank you for your response, 

• JackE

I'm  confused. Is it running OK right now or is it not? And when it crashed 4-5 times before, do you think it was related to erroneous anti-virus installations or were they random crashes? 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sammohanty

No, Its not working, 

It is due to installing two virus softwares. There was a conflict and corrupted the boot manager. 

I reinstalled the recovery CDS again last night but after many years of installation, the error came back again. 

Thsi morning, I have ordered the system CD by purchasing it.

I am hoping this will get reformat the machine in its entirety. 

• JackE

>>>I have ordered the system CD by purchasing it. I am hoping this will get reformat the machine in its entirety.>>>

Yes, I think you've made the best decision. You can also check the integrity of the HDD at the same time. Good!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sammohanty

Whee!!!!!

Thank you, I was worried about the impact of the system CD thinking the money was going down the drain....

Is it as simple as just placeing the CD on the optical drive and then starting the laptop. 

• sammohanty

If the system CD fails to install the OS, does that mean the HDD has crashed? 

What recourse do I have? 

Its a wonderful laptop and hardly used, ,,, Smiley Sad

• JackE

If you find that you need a new hard drive, they should be readily available and fairly inexpensive for your laptop.  

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• sammohanty

Thank you Jack, 

Hope this resolves the situation, 

Replacing the Hard drive is something I want to avoid. Have to rethink how to do it.

I will provide an update ....

• JackE

Good luck. Yes, please let us know how it goes. And if you do need a hard drive, don't worry, the hardest part will be removing the screws and back cover. Much easier now than replacing the old desktop hard drives.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    What i would try, since 2 AV usually JAM the entire works. 1. boot to a good bootable media. 1a. go to command prompt 1b. type the following then click enter. rstrui.exe /offline:C:\Windows this selects the last know good boot ini. it will restore you system back to then it will auto reboot. Im sure you can use your Recoverable CD is you still want.
This discussion has been closed.