Adding Memory to Aspire V5-561p

Options
Raxter54
Raxter54 Member Posts: 4 New User

I've added a new 4gb PC3L 12800 SODIMM to my Aspire V5-561P-6869 notebook, which should bring my total memory to 8gb. When I rebooted and checked system RAM, it still showed only 4gb of memory. Do I need to do anything else to get it to detect this additional memory?

Thanks!

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

What operating system are you running?  When you checked the memory after rebooting, was that in the BIOS or in Windows? What does your BIOS show for memory?

• Raxter54
    Options

I'm running Windows 8.1. Both the BIOS and the Windows system report say 4 gb of memory. I've taken both memory modules out and swapped sides, and also boot with each one seperately, No change...

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

Have you tried testing the system with just the PC3L 12800 SODIMM, to make sure it recognizes that memory stick? Have you tried just installing a stick in the 2nd memory slot to make sure the slot on the MB is working? If it recognizes each stick and both slots are working, then I suspect there could be a compatibility issue between the 2 memory modules. Do you have another stick of memory you could try?

• Raxter54
    Options

I finally got the computer to recognize both modules. I swapped them between the left and right slot - still showed 4 gb.

Tried each one seperately in the two slots - no improvement.

I then removed the memory, powered down, removed the battery and memory. I then re-installed the battery and booted up ith no memory installed. Wouldn't boot. Powered down, installed memory, booted back up. Now it recognizes both memory modules and shows 8 gb memory.

Thanks for the help - much appreciated!

• FlashBulb
    FlashBulb Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Do you notice a difference with the extra memory? I have 4GB and I am thinking about adding 4GB, although I am not running out of memory (I see no swapping yet).

This discussion has been closed.