Acer v nitro vn7 WIFI issues

james35
james35 Member Posts: 6 New User
I've recently bought this laptop and am very saddened to hear the amount of complaints about the wifi problems. I've spent a week downloading new drivers, old drivers, tweaking settings, doing everything anyone appears to have tried on Google and I still suffer problems.

To sum up, my laptop connects very sporadically to a medium strength wifi connection when on AC power. It seems to connect well on battery power. This shouts to me design fault..

All other devices from laptops to phones to iPads have no issue anywhere in the house. I've changed channels and rebooted the router etc etc.

If anyone has advice please get in touch.

Best Answer

• james35
    Answer ✓
    Currys is UK, yes.

So I received the Intel 7265 card today, from Mouser.com, delivered from Texas in 3 days! The problem is no more, the signal is perfect at a distance from the router and is unaffected by performance mode and whether charging or not. Very happy and a highly recommended upgrade.

Answers

• Main problem of these models is that the positioning of the antennas, they have put them at the bottom of the screen and that causes the poor functionality of the WiFi.

EDIT:

You could try getting a Intel 7260 wireless card and replace the Atheros card with it.

• james35
    Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking along the same lines, but it's an ngff connector and these seem pretty rare in the UK for some reason. so I either wait weeks for a chinese delivery, or a few days for a replacement laptop from supplier.

I suppose the Intel wireless card has most chance of being successful though?
  • If you can return it for replacement, go ahead as it's the best option and Intel 7260 card may or may not work.

• james35
    Thanks again for the reply. I've gone with the 7260 option and will report back with results.

On another note, I bought the laptop from Currys/PC World and noticed the other day that the model I bought was out of stock and replaced with a model with the exact spec but the letters AC on the wireless section, and £100 more. Looks like they have replaced the wireless card in the new model....
  • andyouf
    andyouf Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

I have your same issues. And yes they have a version with wireless a/c available for preorder on Amazon... http://amzn.com/B00RGMEVU0. I'm trying to esablish who the manufacturer is. All I want is an intel card not atheros and although I have with past computers I really do not want to take apart my 2 week old laptop to install an adapter I have to purchase because the one mine came with is essentially DOA. 

Is curry's a UK site? Both on Amazon and Acer's sites they do not list the manufacturer of the wifi adapter so I was wondering how you were able to establish that your nitro was coming with an Intel card. All I see is that under acer driver support there are drivers for both the Intel you are talking about and my Atheros.

• james35
    Answer ✓
    Currys is UK, yes.

So I received the Intel 7265 card today, from Mouser.com, delivered from Texas in 3 days! The problem is no more, the signal is perfect at a distance from the router and is unaffected by performance mode and whether charging or not. Very happy and a highly recommended upgrade.
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Which one was it you bought that worked, the Intel 7260 or the Intel 7265? No problem installing drivers?

• james35
    7265, as it was in stock and cheaper than the 7260. Drivers from Intel were fine although I installed the Bluetooth only ones first by accident, which clearly didn't work!
  • zkmoonea
    zkmoonea Member Posts: 4 New User

Could you link me to the 7265 product plz?

• zkmoonea

what date does your BIOS say? or the shipping date from manufacture(i believe its labelled on the package). did you or do you still exprence ping spike when you play games like league or dota2 or others that require stable connection and your laptop gets to certain temperature(80 celcuis maybe or even higher)?  cuz some reported on a chinese forum that it seems in their cases that the wifi connection(ping) degrades portionally to the temperature increase, even though the wireless card shipped in the newer model is already ac7265. Can you help me check that in your case? 

• zkmoonea

hi there, do u suppose the problem is related to the two wires (black and white) being close to the two fan(or vent)? i mean would high temp somehow affect negatively on the material(i dont know what it is)?

• zkmoonea

if the real problem is design flaw, namely the misplacement of the antenna, then how could swap in a different network card like AC7265 resolve the wifi connection problem? sorry, i got no preknowledge of these things.

• andyouf
    andyouf Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

I don't know about it being a design flaw. I returned my orgininal which had the Atheros wb222 (something like that) wifi card because of the constant disconnects or no connection at all. I liked the Nitro so much I took a chance on the updated model with the i7-4720 (instead of 4710) and wifi a/c adapter (Atheros QCA61x4). Have had zero issues since getting the updated model. It also seemed when I was dealing with Amazon that they knew of the issue with that particular atheros card.

http://amzn.com/B00RGMF4YM

One thing I had to do with this which I'm sure you've tried is set the power schemes in advanced power settings for wireless adapters to "maximum performance" for both unplugged and plugged states.

• michi
    michi Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey there - it seems I'm at the right place here:

I also got a V15 nitro (black edition) and built in Intel 7260ac as replacement for buggy atheros.

Now I have the issue, that after a certain time of usage the Internet, then the whole Adapter disappears and only re-appears after some restarts.

Intel Support tells me, I have to check, whether it is compatible. Can you tell me that?

I would be very happy, as this is a really annoying problem these times Smiley Happy

Greetings, Michael