Acer Support is about right on Par with the rest of Acer. LOUSY. My acer grade F+

richnitz
richnitz Member Posts: 3 New User

I just wanted to share my most recent experience with ACER products and Support. I am really not surprised to see that acer is ranked lower and lower on most review sites. I purchased a new Acer Aspire V7 582P and had it for about two weeks during which i used it twice. Once to load all my applications and once just messing around. The next time I tried to use it it wouldn't turn on (at all). I contacted Support and they said I would have to send it in for service as it was a hardware failure. I said I thought they should give me a new one due to the fact the malfunction was on such a new computer. They said that was not an option and that they would not pay shipping. So I shipped it to them. BTW I had a similar incident with an epson scanner and you know what they did (they sent me a new one with a return label and gave me 2 weeks to return the old one in the box the new one was shipped in) Now that is customer service. Anyway I received my ultrabook back today in a crappy unmarked box. The only papers with it said Software and other remarks: Surface scratches and there were indeed but guess what they weren't there when I shipped it. But there are now, and it wasn't a shipping problem because i shipped it packed like a pro with molded styrafoam etc, Anyway they didn't say what was wrong with it just replaced parts were Cable DC in (where the cord went into laptop and hard drive). So now I have a NEW laptop that cost $1000 with scratches from the manufacturers shop, has already had two main components fail and i am out $30 to ship it to them. The worst part was their indifference and unwillingness to stand by their product. I guess if I built a piece of _ _ _ _. product I wouldn't want to stand by it either but I would you know why, Because it is the right thing to do. I will not ever buy an acer product again. I bought a monitor yesterday NO ACER. I am a CPA who buys 3 computers a year minimum. No ACERS ever again. NICE JOB ACER!

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon

There are always going to be units with issues regardless of how much quality control they go through. Sorry about your experience, but no company will just offer you a replacement instead of a repair. They need to see the unit to verify it beforehand and it's well written in the warranty. If the DC input jack was the problem it normally indicates customer induced damage, they don't just break on their own. They likely only repaired it free of charge because the unit was so new, but that explains why they wouldn't pick it up. If there are scratches on it that weren't there before you can always call Acer to ask them to return it to have it repaired, which they will have no issue doing.

Again, sorry for you unfortunate experience, but I've been dealing with Acer for a number of years and out of the countless repairs I've gone through with them I've only had issues with 3 - 4 of them. As soon as I called Acer to let them know something went wrong they worked as fast as possible to straighten everything out.

So there you have it. Your case as unfortunate as it was is a rarity. If you choose to not buy Acer products anymore I completely understand, first impressions are everything. And if you choose to spread the word about your distaste for Acer, that too you are free to do. But I routinely work with HP, Toshiba, Dell, Apple, Sony, Panasonic, Lenovo, Logitech.... and in my experience Acer is one of the fairer and easier to work with companies in terms of repairs. I'll admit that I don't exactly need to contact Acer for technical support, but in terms of repairs they're really quite hard to beat. The repair time is rarely ever more than a week and a half including shipping, and aside from having to package the unit myself I really don't have any complaints.

Toshiba makes you jump through hoops for a repair. Dell will make you do the same troubleshooting steps you've already done, even if you tell them you've done it already. HP isn't terrible, I find them to be quite reasonable. Asus will speak to you as if you're a complete ***** even if your troubleshooting is more advanced than theirs. The one thing these companies all have in common is that they won't replace your computer without doing repairs, and they won't pick up your computer free of charge if you have a damaged unit or if you're out of the pickup period.

Fact of the matter is that every company has good and bad products, every company will see a few defective products, and every company will be in this exact situation hundreds of times over. It's all a matter of how they handle the situation, and I will go as far as to say that Acer is one of the only companies that goes above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction. They may not be able to fix your issue overnight, and sometimes things go wrong and they have to do another repair. Acer has even gone as far as to start talking to their customers, grabbing suggestions and complaints to improve their products and service. So in Acer's defence you'll be hard pressed to find better service and a better standard warranty no matter the mark you choose.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Rich, I'm sorry that this happened to you. I think I can explain those scratches.

Decades ago, I worked for UPS. We threw packages into sorting boxes and onto conveyors as fast as we could in order to keep up. Packages got piled onto each other and sometimes the pile would topple. Smetines they would fall for some distance before hitting the concrete floor.

Acer would not have done anything to scratch your machine, but the shippers might have.

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

Hi Scotty.

You have given a perfect validation of Acer service and other brands.

I too feel the same.

• richnitz

Your assumptions are wrong and misguided. The DC input jack wasn't damaged at least not externally and i only used the product twice. I am not a constant complainer like some people out there. I fortunately have not had many issues with my computers. I have probably purchased 8 laptops and 40 desktops over my professional career and have only had one fail on me through no fault of its own. I haven't had to deal with all the other makers products because their products haven't failed on me. So while I appreciate your faith in Acer and their products I think your assuming that I caused the damage is a bit farreaching and uninformed. That being said you sound like a fair and intelligent guy. But Just FYI I am on here again because the laptop had exactly the same failure. I don't use it much, maybe 1 or 2 times per month. It is a tool for me to access my worksite when I am at home or on vacation. So basically this is the 2nd exact same failure of an upper end laptop that i have used maybe 15 times. I'll let you know how this repair experience goes. My expectations are not very high. I am tempted to throw it in the garbage and chalk it up to $1200 in education expenses.

• helps
    helps Member Posts: 5 New User

So your laptop won't turn on at all? That's very unfortunate, but makes me wonder what could be a problem. I've got mine V7 582P month ago and it's working since early morning hours til late night hours almost every day without single hesitation. Moreover I know couple people who's had this machine for few months without any problems, too. Seems like you're extremely unlucky if you ran into faulty V7, but it happens.

As for the customer service he's right. I don't know any company who'd give you brand new laptop right away. At least over here rules are they take it for repair and you can only get new machine or money back if you had the same failure happen 3 times in a row (or 4 diff issues). It's not really just Acer, but any other brand. That's how warranty works over here and I guess it's same everywhere. Only exception could be Dell, Dell's 'next business day' service sounds good, but I've heard stories how they actually take more time than it's advertised or funny stories about losing warranty by installing VLC media player and so on. So it's surely up to you, but Acer doesn't seem any worse than anyone else out there. Actually I've been more disappointed with Lenovo and Dell lately.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

I hace two Acer laptops that I use at an orphanage, and they both work great.

• richnitz

UPDATE ON ASPIRE V7 SECOND REPAIR. So I just got my acer aspire V7 back from the shop again. No notes as to problem other than replaced both hard drives and reloaded operating system. They changed both hard drives the first time as well. Does this mean that I just had two bad hard drives twice in a row? I  think not. I have a feeling that this will happen again. In addition the SSD (24 gig) came back unconfigured, i had to go to manage storage to get to where I can even see it. I suspect it should be set up to do something but I haven't the slightest. I expected when I bought a new computer that it would be set up to work as designed. So I suspect now I have a computer that works less efficiently than it was designed to. Any suggestions Acer or one of the helpful Acer supporters.

This discussion has been closed.