Acer R7-572-6423 Blank/Black Screen. Power/Battery indicator blue

Options
Krunk
Krunk Member Posts: 2 New User

Acer R7-572-6423

Windows 8.1

Bought April 28, 2014.

Issue: 

I get a black screen permanently now.  When connected to wall battery indicator is blue, I touch the power button, power indicator turns blue for 7 seconds then turns off.  Nothing happens.  Screen doesn't power, can't hear any fans, etc. Same issue when not connected to wall.

There was a BIOS update version 2.04 which fixed a problem "2.Revise system can't boot when "Exit Discarding Changes" was selected in BIOS menu."  I believe that's my issue.

Is there any recovery method that can be done at home to get it out of this state?

Here's a video from another user with the same laptop and identical problem but he never posted a fix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJeEZO_czxw

Another user suggested sending in the laptop to have the EPROM replaced but never said why or if it fixed it.

Tried:

pinhole button to reset the system

removed battery, hard drive

looked for crimped wires in hinge going to screen

Thanks for the help.

Best Answer

• Krunk
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just updating my own post-----

Something on the motherboard is indeed stuck in a permanent off state.  There is no solution besides replacing the entire motherboard. They are more expensive because integrated cpu.

My laptop is out of warranty for some reason since I bought it via Acer Outlet on Amazon, even though the laptop itself was manufactured less than a year ago.

Online chat support for problems wouldn't help at all.  They are a 3rd party vendor and don't do this stuff.

Sent a repair request to Acer. They want $399 to fix.

Took it to a local repair shop (super nice people btw, way more helpful than acer support...I'd highly suggest local mom&pop shops if you can), they want $360.

Not sure what I'll do yet. I think it's kind of silly to pay for a known bios software bug that bricks a laptop but that's just me.

Marking this thread as solved.

Answers

• Kz750
    Kz750 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I just had the exact same thing happen to me an hour ago. As I was working on some important spreadsheets of course. I tried everyhing - unplugging the battery, the hard drive, the charger, pressing the battery reset button for periods of5 to 60 seconds with and without the charger plugged in, etc. Nothing seems to work. I'm extremely frustrated.
  • Krunk
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just updating my own post-----

Something on the motherboard is indeed stuck in a permanent off state.  There is no solution besides replacing the entire motherboard. They are more expensive because integrated cpu.

My laptop is out of warranty for some reason since I bought it via Acer Outlet on Amazon, even though the laptop itself was manufactured less than a year ago.

Online chat support for problems wouldn't help at all.  They are a 3rd party vendor and don't do this stuff.

Sent a repair request to Acer. They want $399 to fix.

Took it to a local repair shop (super nice people btw, way more helpful than acer support...I'd highly suggest local mom&pop shops if you can), they want $360.

Not sure what I'll do yet. I think it's kind of silly to pay for a known bios software bug that bricks a laptop but that's just me.

Marking this thread as solved.

• Kz750
    Kz750 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

That is total BS. I really liked this laptop but I will never buy Acer again and I will dissuade all friends and family from ever buying Acer. Good going.

• fiziksphun
    fiziksphun Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Same thing happened to me.  I found a guy on youtube that commented that it happened when he attached a portable battery through usb to charge.  Apparently, it draws too much current and blows out something on the motherboard.  No choice but to replace the entire motherboard.  I just bought a manufactured refurb motherboard on ebay for 199.  This was at least a 200 dollar mistake to try to charge that battery through the computer instead of plugging it into the wall.  Live and learn....Warning!!!!  Don't charge batteries or anything through the usb on this machine...  always use the wall adapter. 

If anyone cares, I'll update and tell everyone if replacing the motherboard worked.  It's a 200 dollar gamble to do it myself but.... lacking in cash and no one around Rochester ny wants to try to repair laptops... Hope this info helped another poor Acer soul

• alvaro777
    alvaro777 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi guys,

My R7-572 was in similar state and I was able to get it working again. You may want to check this out

Regards,

Alvaro