Notebooks & Netbooks

Topic

Visitor
thedonpoe

Acer Crystal Eye Webcam does not work after upgrade to Windows 8

[ Edited ]

Dear Acer community, I recently baught an Acer Aspire Timeline U (Aspire M5-481TG) and upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 8 using the Acer Upgrade Assistant Tool. Now, my laptop does not recognize my webcam anymore. Neither the Acer Crystal Eye program (which I have also updated), nor Skype nor the Windows 8-default "Camera" will show me a picture. I have a device called "SPCA2082 PC Camera" listed in the device manager, which it claims should work. Thanks in advance for any help :smileyhappy:

Visitor
thedonpoe

Re: Acer Crystal Eye Webcam does not work after upgrade to Windows 8

I have also checked the Acer Website for drivers: http://www.acer.de/ac/de/DE/content/drivers

Non are available for the webcam.

thedonpoe wrote:

Dear Acer community, I recently baught an Acer Aspire Timeline U (Aspire M5-481TG) and upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 8 using the Acer Upgrade Assistant Tool. Now, my laptop does not recognize my webcam anymore. Neither the Acer Crystal Eye program (which I have also updated), nor Skype nor the Windows 8-default "Camera" will show me a picture. I have a device called "SPCA2082 PC Camera" listed in the device manager, which it claims should work. Thanks in advance for any help :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
Tobers07

I've been having the same issue for the past few months I have no idea how to fix it, so you're not alone.

orlbuckeye

I device manager where it shows device did you do a search for the drivers? Try doing the search on the internet.

Visitor
thedonpoe

Thank you for the suggestion, orlbuckeye. The device manager does show two drivers: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys and C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbvideo.sys.

Updating it will result in Microsoft telling me that my device has the latest drivers.

Also, uninstalling the device and "Acer Crystal Eye" has no effect, as the "Acer Crystal Eye" software will not install without the webcam and its drivers installed, and reinstalling the device will use the same drivers.

The software also shows the Webcam as a device, but the display remains black.

Also, the folks at Acer (Brindhavan M) have provided me with the following solution. Let me quote it, it might be of help for some people with the same issue out there:

"Regarding the issue, we request you to reinstall the drivers in the unit which might fix the issue.

1. Press the Windows key to open the Start screen.

2. Type Recovery in the search box.

3. Click Acer Recovery Management in the search results.

NOTE If asked to allow the program to make changes, click Yes.

4. Click Reinstall Drivers or Applications.

5. On the Contents tab, locate the driver or application you wish to install and click the Install icon.

NOTE Additional Windows Features may be required for some program installations. Be sure you download and install these Features.

6. Follow the prompts to install the driver or application."

Visitor
thedonpoe

[ Edited ]

Dear Tobers07, are you also using Windows 8? I have heard of people with the same problem on other operating systems.

New Visitor
lala

I can't find Acer Recovery Management on my laptop. What should I do? After I reinstall my OS, i lost any acer empowering tech menu

thx

thedonpoe wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion, orlbuckeye. The device manager does show two drivers: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys and C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbvideo.sys.

Updating it will result in Microsoft telling me that my device has the latest drivers.

Also, uninstalling the device and "Acer Crystal Eye" has no effect, as the "Acer Crystal Eye" software will not install without the webcam and its drivers installed, and reinstalling the device will use the same drivers.

The software also shows the Webcam as a device, but the display remains black.

Also, the folks at Acer (Brindhavan M) have provided me with the following solution. Let me quote it, it might be of help for some people with the same issue out there:

"Regarding the issue, we request you to reinstall the drivers in the unit which might fix the issue.

1. Press the Windows key to open the Start screen.

2. Type Recovery in the search box.

3. Click Acer Recovery Management in the search results.

NOTE If asked to allow the program to make changes, click Yes.

4. Click Reinstall Drivers or Applications.

5. On the Contents tab, locate the driver or application you wish to install and click the Install icon.

NOTE Additional Windows Features may be required for some program installations. Be sure you download and install these Features.

6. Follow the prompts to install the driver or application."

New Visitor
ethanr

thedonpoe,

I am having the same issues with my webcam, only mine is a sporadic thing.  Just tonight, it was not working, then it started working for a couple hours, and now it's back to not working, no matter what I do.

I just bought my TimelineU in August.  I am still running Windows 7, instead of 8, but everything you described is the same as the problems I'm having.  The device manager shows that SPCA2082 PC Camera has fully up to date drivers and that "this device is working properly", but I still cannot get anything beyond a blank black screen in Crystal Eye, Skype, etc.

I also tried following the instructions you listed in above, using the Acer eRecovery program to reinstall the driver, but that did nothing as well.

I have contacted Acer's chat support on two seperate occassions, and both times they have resorted to telling me to run a System Restore, but I refuse to believe that that should be necessary every time this webcam goes MIA.

I hope someone at Acer takes note of this problem soon, it's really putting a major damper on a laptop that I otherwise love.

New Visitor
ethanr

lala,

I know the instructions say to type "Recovery" in the search box, but you might have better luck entering "eRecovery" since that's what the program is actually labeled as.

New Visitor
balavishnu

even i have the same problem, it was working yesterday in skype and today it's not working...any one pls help winn8 users

Did you know? Acer Community is also available in the following languages: