Acer Aspire v3-772g wont boot, power works/lights work.

Options
dragaa
dragaa Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hey guys!
I have an Acer Aspire V3-772g, a relatively new laptop (8 months old), which randomly decided to stop booting.

Windows 8.1
Core i7 2.2ghz
nVidia GTX 760m
8gig's of ram (2x4gb)
7200 RPM SATA

Was playing a game just fine. Shut down as normal, went to work, came home 8 hours later, attempted to boot - nothing.

Exact problem: Hit power button, power button comes on. Light next to the lightbulb (power light?) Comes on, stays solid. Charging stays solid orange/blue.

HDD light? Flickers.
Screen flickers a dark grey color that may be the very initial part of a startup. No acer logo.
The screen and HDD light flicker in synchronisation, at the same exact time. You can hear the fans fire up, and the HDD spin up. Screen just flickers about once per second (it's very faint.)

--Heres what I've tried--
-Removing power cord/battery, holding button for 60 seconds 3 times, plugging back in and powering up. - No
^Almost every varation of that, I have attempted.
-Inserting a new harddrive. Same result.
-Plugging in an external monitor. (Tried VGA and HDMI) - power does not transfer to external monitors. Screen still flickers on laptop, no change in behavior.
-Removed 1 stick of RAM - No **BUT** behavior changes slightly. Flickering of screen and HD light reduced to about once every 45 seconds rather than once every second.
-Removed both sticks of RAM - no flickering, no HDD light flickering. Pure black screen.
-Rotated the sticks of RAM - No change.

Also interestingly, with everything normal, if I hold Fn+Esc, the computer will do a new startup process (Screen still black), then after about 20 seconds goes into the normal screen flickering/HDD indicator flickering. Different behavior, slightly.

Any ideas would be so appreciated guys, and thank you to all who take the time to respond.

Answers

• silizium
    silizium Member Posts: 239 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

My advise is to use your warranty and send it to Acer. This is probably beyond the capabilities of a forum. Sounds like a general hardware failure, maybe mainboard.

• dragaa
    dragaa Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I was hoping I wouldn't have to. Two repairs in less than a year. Sad story.

• anyfink
    anyfink Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi, I was also unfortunate enough to have purchased an Acer Aspire V3-772G i7 laptop from Littlewoods Catalogue in April this year and the laptop had started to malfunction initially during the automated Windows 8.1 updating process.  The laptop came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled.  Following this I got the random reboots, freezing, blue screen of death, unable to boot to Windows scenario, just as many others had experienced.  I tried everything possible to identify the faults including returning to as it was when I first got it but this did nothing towards fixing the problems.  Acer claimed that they have had no problems with this laptop whilst its forum is brimming with angry customers facing these same problems as you and I.  I got PC World to run a check on the system and they discovered that it had memory problems which was a step in the right dierction because it locked up completely when I attempted a memory test.  Iobit were helpful and identified an unfixable BIOS problem whilst PC World also suspected overheating problems which I personally believe would make a lot of sense.  I urge anyone here unlucky enough to have purchased this model laptop to complain to Acer and push hard for a product recall and a refund.  I have been using, repairing and building computers for many years and have never in all those years experienced a computer that bad.  I hope this helps.