Topic

Visitor
kellyannshk
Accepted Solution

Acer Aspire V5-471-6876 Touchpad stopped working

[ Edited ]

Was working fine for a few days then suddly stopped working (no cursor appears and movement does nothing). Keyboard fine, external mouse when plugged in works fine. 

Rebooted and no change, no events in the event log for the hardware, looks fine in the device manager. I haven't mucked with drivers yet, but it's brand new and was working fine for the first 2 days. Tried Fn+F7 in case it was disabled. It's my mom's computer, and she's a pretty basic user so it's unlikely she played around with any pertinent settings.

Any ideas? Help?

Visitor
pavlinicjohn27

Re: Acer Aspire V5-471-6876 Touchpad stopped working

Try holding FN button down & hitting the the F6 button

Visitor
kellyannshk

[ Edited ]

Was just editing my post - it's FN F7 on this one, but that doesn't do anything. Also tried stop device and enable device. no change.

Valued Leader
freeza

Good day

Reinstall the touchpad by clicking on start, all programs, acer, acer erecovery management, restore, reinstall drivers and applications, contents and look for touchpad driver and reinstall by clicking on the green arrow on the right handside. If that doesnt work, download and install the latest touchpad driver from: http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

Regards,

Freeza

Visitor
aditya0987

Visitor
AcerHBG

I uninstalled the Synapse driver through Control Panel. Then turned off my laptop and let it sit for 10-15 seconds. (Do NOT try RESTART - must SHUT DOWN computer and let it sit a while). Then manually turned it back on. Problem fixed.

Visitor
stephfaulkner

thank you so much for this! my laptop was a christmas present and so I only got it yesterday, I was petrified when i tought I'd broke it!:smileyvery-happy: thanks again haha.

Visitor
Satalink

I've been dealing with this issue for almost a year now.  I've developed a little work-around that may be of use to others.

If you leave you laptop on all the time and have the action set to "Do Nothing" when you close the laptop's lid... (winded),

The touchpad seems to have sleep code of it's own and will remain in a sleep state after you have opened the lid.  This is a design flaw (suspected).  The work-around is to hit CTRL-ESC and use the arrow keys to navigate down to the "Shut Down", "Hibernate", "Log Out", "Lock", "Sleep" function of the start button menu options.   Select "Sleep" and let you laptop go to sleep.  It should be completely in sleep mode in 15 to 20 seconds.  Once it's in a sleep state, hit the ESC key and it will awake up with the touchpad mouse functionality restored.

Hope this helps 

Visitor
khamelly

Satalink, I took the time to register on this site just to say thank you!!  I have been having the exact same problem and have been googling it off and on for several months, with no luck.  In the meantime I have been using a wireless mouse, which works but is kind of a pain.  Today your post popped up and it worked!

I did try to find touchpad settings, to see if you could turn off sleep on the touchpad, but couldn't find anything.  If you ever figure out how to do that, please let us know, but in the meantime, thanks again for finding a solution to this problem.

Visitor
stumpydog

You're a star, worked a treat!  Many thanks for listing the fab fix, I thought I was going to have to take it in for repair and it's not even 12 months yet!

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Please join me in congratulating IronFly who is the first Acer Community Member to achieve the rank of ACE Pathfinder. IronFly has shown a consistent willingness to help others and has worked hard to earn this new Rank. Congrats and Thank You IronFly.

ACE Pathfinder

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: