Acer Aspire V3-772G LCD flicker (grey color)

Karolis
Karolis Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I get flicker in dark grey colors. Its the same with both intel and GTX 760M cards. I found this test:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

2b and 4b patches flicker a lot, so I asume my laptop is suffering from Invertion (pixel-walk). Is there something I can do to fix it or should I just send it to service center?

Thanks.

Answers

• Karolis
    Karolis Member Posts: 2 New User

So I guess I am the only one to have this issue, right?

• bekshind
    bekshind Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

Hi

I'm not much of a help, but FYI I have 772G, did the test and everything seems fine...

Have a nice day

• Enora
    Enora Member Posts: 1 New User

hi !

I am sorry, I am French and suppose I'll do mistake ...

So, I have the same Problem with my computer and I have sended it 2 times to service center ...

First They didn't find the answer and they changed the motherboard but is not the problem...

In the second time I was searching the reason of the walk pixels and I found the same test

I indicated this information to service center but for them, it is not a problem ...

And you what are you doing ? What the service center have you say ?

Good luke

• jansoni
    jansoni Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey.

I got this exact same problem with my 771G and was just wondering that did you ever resolve this issue? I'm quite sure it's a hardware problem since the flickering disappears if I change my refresh rate to 40Hz...

• silizium
    silizium Member Posts: 239 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I have the same problem with my Acer V3-772G. The whole screen is slightly wafting. It looks like the refresh rate is too low. In the settings dialog it's indicated 60p Hz, but I never experienced so much flickering at this rate. I already updated my system to BIOS version 1.15 but that was only a small relief.

Unfortunately the last Intel driver didn't do anything better than the latest Acer driver. It makes no difference if I change the settings to exclusive Nvidia. It seems that the monitor screen is not in sync with the GPU or there is something wrong with the Intel driver. This issue is not only existent on this machine.

To see what I/we talking about change the desktop background to a dark grey color and lower the brightness. You can see this slightly flickering/wafting every single moment. If you use an application with dark theme like Visual Studio 2013 or IntelliJ (Dracula Theme), this will driving you mad.

• oksygen
    oksygen Member Posts: 11 New User

Hi,

i noticed flickering to, in the win8 Start page. My background is grey.
    I noticed that flickering appears when i try to dim the brightness of the screen .. it doesnt flicker on full brightness!!
    It is hardware problem .. it flickers because the difference of screen refresh rate and lighting refresh rate .. i think.

• iriedigg
    iriedigg Member Posts: 5 New User

I also have similar issues. It's them same effect my cell phone has to conserve battery, it goes from dark to light frequently. I recently installed the 1.15 bios which crashed my computer, called Acer for support and the wanted me to send it in for repairs (2 week wait). Turns out the new bios didn't like me running 3 hdd's ( 1 ssd, 1 msata and 1 hdd) Once I pulled out my 1tb hdd the computer booted fine. I flashed my bios back to 1.13 and now all 3 hdd's work. Screen flicker was still noticible in 1.15 btw.

V3-772g-9643

i7-4702mq

Geforce GTX 760m

16gb ram

It would be great for Acer to chime in on this threat with some suggestions.

• iriedigg

So I have what seems to be a fix, sort of. I did some google searching on this issue and some people reported having cured there similar problem by rolling back their Bios version to 1.08. So far in the last hour of having done this I haven't had a flicker yet. I was running 1.13 before. 

If you want to try this for yourself (at your own discretion) you will need to download 1.08 from the support page (to find it you will need to select "All" as opposed to "Latest")

Unpack the VA70V108.exe with something like WinRar or 7-Zip and right click on "platform.ini" and select edit
    find "[Bios_Version_Check]" and change "flag=1" to "flag=0"
    after that save the ini file and run the InsydeFlash.exe as administrator.

(the bios utility won't allow you to downgrade without these steps) 

I did get a BSOD after this but it was due to my 3rd hdd. Once I removed it, the computer booted fine. Then I shut down and put it back in and restarted and booted into windows but the drive did not show up. So I restarted into the UEFI bios and the drive was not listed in the boot list, but after exiting the bios and restarting the drive now shows in windows.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

• silizium

Yes, this is the currently only known method to prevent flickering. But I think, downgrade the BIOS to a more error prone version is not really a solution. But anyway, this method is working.

I'm ask myself if any of the Acer product support is reading here? Now BIOS version 1.15 is the current release and they seem to ignore this problem.

• iriedigg

Some sort of acknowledgment from Acer would be great. It would also be great if they provided change logs for their bios updates so people knew what they were upgrading for. I know 1.15 has a short change log but its not exactly what I call descriptive.

EARTH TO ACER SUPPORT!!

• silizium

So, it seems there is no answer from Acer and no solution. If someone is thinking about buying an Acer V3-772G and some of its variants, don't do it. This device has serious hardware faults.

• Recharg3
    Recharg3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the exactly same problem with this annoying flickering. I've tried all latest drivers from intel and nvidia, sent the notebook in service , they even changed the display but the problem is still there Smiley Sad( Last thing i've tried was update bios from 1.13 to 1.15 but nothing changed, still flickering like hell on dark-grey colors like a bad refresh rate. From what i've read here the last option for me remains this down-grade to bios 1.08 but still afraid of doing something wrong or not working at all. Please someone from acer support departament read this lines and post something usefull, cause it seems its a common problem for this model. Maybe u can do a better bios update including on it a solution for this naughty flickering. Waiting for some reply pls
  • jnb
    jnb Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello guys.

These days I'm searching for laptop to buy. And v3-772g was the first candidate to me... Until I realized that it has the flickering problem (when brightness lower then 100%). I googled the Internet (russian part of it) and, as far as I understand, owners blame the LED-backlit for this flikering issue. As a solution they use an IntelPWMControl utility. The utility allows to raise frequency of the backlit.

That problem is not only Acer-related, some other brands also have it.

To learn more about the flickering issue just google something like this: "LED-backlit pwm flickering".

PS. If someone try the utility (i mentioned above), please let us know about results.

PPS. Sorry for my English.

• wmark3000
    wmark3000 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have flickering and greying of screen which is particularly bad if the laptop is left to warm in sunlight, even indoors. It does not happen on a remote screen if I attach by HDMI cable.

No idea what to do about this apart from take to a service centre since Acer had no other suggestions when I called them. My laptop is a little over a year old - an Acer Aspire V5 running Windows 8.1.

This discussion has been closed.