Acer Aspire M5 481PT touch screen stopped working

ejsaturn15
ejsaturn15 Member Posts: 7 New User

I got the Acer Aspire M5 481PT-6644 about two weeks ago and when I first got it the touch screen worked just fine however today it has refused to respond, the touch pad works fine though and I can use a mouse. I'm not sure why or what to do.

Answers

• jpena25
    jpena25 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same exact problem. I bought this laptop last week and the touchscreen was working fine until a few minutes ago when I turned it on from sleep mode. I tried Fn F7 and nothing happened

• caratolo
    caratolo Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem here. BIOS 2.20 solved for only 2 or 3 hours.

• capota
    capota Member Posts: 4 New User

hI,

I recently bought Aspire M5-481PT-6644 from Best Buy last week in NYC.
    After I bought, I did the initial setup in NYC and tested it. The touchscreen was working.

Then I came to Brazil and the touchscreen is not working anymore.
    I tried without success doing a reset to factory settings. But even with the factory settings and a new setup the Tocuhscreen is not working. The bios version is 2.16.

Anyone could help?

thansk

• kculp
    kculp Member Posts: 3 New User

Win 8 machine with 6GB RAM. Has anyone brought this problem to resolution? My touch screen stopped working after about 8 weeks of use (computer is new. I think any support help from ACER here in this thread would be helpful. When I talked to them they wanted me to send the machine in for a complete drive wipe with system restore. I've got a Logitech wireless mouse - is that the problem? I disconnect it and doesn't seem to help. Can't think of anything I've done to cause it.

In Windows 8 - NOTE THERE IS NO DRIVER FOR TOUCH ACCORDING TO ACER - under system info - under system - it says under pen and touch - no input available for this display. Amazing since the machine is marketed as a touch screen and it worked when it was new.

KEY QUESTIONS - was this screen, as installed, really Windows 8 compatible?

• raretechnics
    raretechnics Member Posts: 2 New User

I had same problem. I like to get my security patches and stuff up to date before I do a backup, so I'm not doing it again on a restore. Sure enough third update in, touchscreen was disabled. Seeing the forums thought i was stuck with factory restore. At that point I figured whats it gonna hurt to see if they found a fix. I manually searched for updates and installed more. Sadly i didn't catch exactly which one it was. However I don't think it was an important update rather an optional, but my touch is re-activated. 

• kculp
    I knew it was a systems thing. Can you please be more specific though? Optional update? When you say third one in, I can't replicate that. Is there an update number or something? Can't believe the Acer support team does nothing on this thread.
  • Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

This problem came up on anpother thread. Acer says that it is a Windows software failure, and they do not make drivers for a touchscreen on this model. Microsoft says that if you re-install your original Windows and it doesn't work, it is not their fault or responsibility.

I say that the Aspire M5 481PT is an "Edsel." It is able to do too much for a machine of its price, because it uses cheap parts.

• raretechnics
    raretechnics Member Posts: 2 New User

This was a unit someone else purchased I'm just the fix it when its broken friend. So I image friends computers just so I have a good starting point when something really goes wrong. So unfortunately I don't have a lot to offer due to I broke it with updates and fixed it with updates while I was there. I mostly wanted to post this due to the re-installs I been seeing. It seems as this approach probably loads your basic windows and may get you to the point of no return.

• bernardluna4
    bernardluna4 Member Posts: 2 New User

how did you got the BOIS 2.20

• bernardluna4
    bernardluna4 Member Posts: 2 New User

did you find out whatt update it was?

• Vince53

Let me try to help you folks with a touchscreen problem. 

The simplest solution, of course, is to rollback to a System Restore Point, so I'll assume that you already did that and it didn't work.

Since it is probably a software issue, there are several causes, so more than one possible solution. First, SET A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT, then go to Control Panel, and then:

1) Go to Power Options and see what happens when you close the lid. Change it to "Sleep." Yes, that works for some people.

2) Find Device Manager, USB Input Device, Human Interface Devices, Properties, Power Management Tab, and then uncheck "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power." After you've done this, if it still doesn't work, retry step 1.

3) Go to Power Options and find USB Selective Suspend and uncheck it.

4) Go to Windows Update and see if it is trying to install touchscreen drivers.

5) For this one, MAKE SURE YOU SET A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT FIRST! Go to Device Manager, Display Adapters, find your graphics card and disable it. When Windows asks you if you really want to do this, click "Yes." Restart your computer and pray fervently during the start-up process.

6) Turn off your computer and gently clean the screen. (Honest, it works sometimes).

7) In Control Panel, go to Hardware and Sound, Tablet PC Settings (even if you're not using a tablet), Display, Setup, and then follow the instructions.

The simplest solution, of course, is to rollback to a System Restore Point, so I'll assume that you already did that and it didn't work.

• kculp

Thanks for posting! Anyway, I tried all of these except for #2.  Find Device Manager, USB Input Device, Human Interface Devices, Properties, Power Management Tab. I don't see where this is at all. Anyway, none of these solutions worked. I even took out the display adapter and rebooted. Are you certain all of these directions are for Windows 8??

• Vince53

Kculp, I got these suggestions by searching the web. More than one said that if their suggestion doesn't work, you need to take it to a repair shop.

In a nutshell, this is USUALLY the problem--your Windows operating system is clashing with your hardware and/or a software program. When you restore to factory settings, Microsoft says it is not their problem, because Windows is working fine. Acer says that it is not a hardware problem. Rolling back to a System Restore Point will not solve the problem because the hardware or software program is still there.

You understand that a laptop is not designed for a touchscreen. The touchscreen is often installed on top of your regular screen, and the Windows software program is responsible for getting it to work.

• 76Princess
    76Princess Member Posts: 1 New User

Wish I had known all this information before I had bought the product. I am sitting here at 1:43am trying to figure out how to get this thing to work. I may just return the thing since I am within my 15 days. I do not wish to restore seeing that I had to do that for some reason when I was trying to set up my iTunes. I still have yet to figure out why it made me do that in the first place. But if I am going to continue having problems I may as well save myself the hassle and return it before my time is up.

• tj1737
    tj1737 Member Posts: 1 New User

I realize this thread is a little old, however I just stumbled across it.  If you are still having touchscreen problems with your M5-481PT, it is a hardware related problem.  Easy fix though, no tools required.  The digitizer cable plugs in behind the LCD and has a peice of tape on it to hold it to digi board.  Acer did not remove the tape protector. (they made a mistake)  There for the cable comes unplugged and touchscreen no longer functions.  Easy fix is pop LCD apart around the seams.  Reach down and remove the tape protector, plug cable back in and you're good to go.

• Neon
    Neon Member Posts: 1 New User

IMG_20140620_091224_239.jpgIMG_20140620_091259_409.jpgIMG_20140620_091322_695.jpgIMG_20140620_091427_022.jpgFinally, Somene that solved this problem. Thank you so much! 

Split open the screen with fingers and a credit card and found the plug undone and sticky tape not stuck. Plugged back in and taped it down.

G - happy day after 12  months of misery!

Man Happy

• tgrovatt
    tgrovatt Member Posts: 1 New User

Genious.    Thank You So Much.   I took my screen apart per instructions, with fingers and credit card.  This was super easy.  My connector did not seem loose, but I unplugged it and re-seated it anyway.  Powered back on and the touchscreen is working again.  Yeah.

Thanks for posting this great fix.

Todd

• x2jason
    x2jason Member Posts: 1 New User

Removing the back of my laptop and unplugging/replugging in the wire worked! However, I suggest use a card that is EXPENDABLE.

• buzzib
    buzzib Member Posts: 1 New User

Many thanks to tj1737 and neon. 

After a couple of years following the herd with regards to a problem with the upgrade to windows 8 and waiting for a possible software fix for this, I was having a quick look to see if there were any new Acer drivers for my M3-581PTG and a quick look thru support, I came across this.

My plastic was out before finishing to read the posts, a couple of minutes later the screen connector had been re-seated and the touch was restored (tbh, it wasn’t working when I bought it at a bargain price and got a further discount from Amazon – so I wasn’t too concerned).  Just a very flimsy connection that had come away, possibly at manufacture.   

Well done Guys!  Made my day Smiley Happy

• Podcheko
    Podcheko Member Posts: 1 New User

In my case it work as well, 2 months after purchase screen suddenly stop working. I opened the lcd screen and moved the connector, not touchscreen is back. Really it should be somewhere in the FAQ section for Acer Aspire M5 issues. Thank you guys for solving this issue very much! 

This discussion has been closed.