Acer Aspire E1-522...black screen of death

kgfdirect
kgfdirect Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi There:

I have a relatively new Aspire E1-522.   Was in the middle of watching Netflix when it conked out.   Now, when I turn the power on very little happens...the blue light comes on, the fan comes on and the screen backlight comes on...and then goes out...and then comes on again...etc.

Basically, turning it on doesn't even get to the Acer logo.  Cannot get into the BIOS by any means.   In my research this sounds exactly like the Aspire One black screen of death, although I haven't found references to it with respect to the E1.

I think the BIOS is fried.   Does anyone know how to re-flash it on the E1-522?  I cannot boot windows, so I can't use the self-extracting EXE.   I need to be able to flash it from the bare bones hardware like the fix for the AA1, unless someone can suggest something else.

Answers

• Katya
    Katya Member Posts: 3 New User
    Try forcing it off & on, I have almost the same problem, I have sat here for 45minutes forcing it on & off again. Finally after 45minutes it finally showed the start up screen, i was able to get into bios again. However, during the last week I have dne the following which has all not worked.... 1. taken bios battery out & placing same one back again 2. replaced bios battery completely (this worked for 2 days) 3. done defrag, disk clean up, virus checks 4. done a full windows restore This took a long time for each thing due to having to start it up & spend just under an hour each time turning it off & on again every 10 or so seconds until it finally booted up each time. As stated, NONE of these things have worked. I have not tried the following but this is my next step.... Near the bios battery should be a little pin a bit like a plug socket cover but tiny (oblong)... take it out along with the bios battery, leave out for approx 1min, replace. It could also be near the CPU. (currently on the phone to my brother who fixes computers for a living).
  • kgfdirect

Hi: 

I tried taking out the BIOS battery as well without any luck.   Repeated forcing on/off (I presume by holding the button down?) didn't help either.

I can't get to the point where I can even do a windows restore...it never boots, never gets to the Acer logo.  I tried booting off a thumb drive but no luck there (and it probably wouldn't work anyway thanks to the idiocy of "SecureBoot").  I have tried all the usual key combos...F2, alt-F10, F10, Fn-ESC, F12,  you name it.  I don't think the BIOS gets as far as POSTing...the only sound it makes is when I plug in or unplug the power.

I can tell that the machine just keeps resetting.  When the thumb drive is in the light goes on, then goes off...over and over.  And the fan keeps starting up and stopping.

I also checked all the pins on the various ports.  I had a laptop once that did this when a pin on the USB had been shorted out...no luck there, all the pins are fine.

I must say this is a "new" failure for me.   Never had a system croak at the BIOS level before.

• Katya
    Katya Member Posts: 3 New User

like i say just keep sitting there every 10 or so seconds press the power button to turn on, then after 5 seconds press & hold the power button to force off. Do this repeatedly, it took me about an hour to get the screen back, but it did finally work, but i just cant turn my laptop off now for fear if it happening again. my brother says there are alot of youtube videos to sort out the "black screen of death". Also if you speak to acer **** ask for "complaints" they have now offered to do a free diagnostics on my laptop which means i will at least know what the problem is, but they are calling me back tomoro to see if im happy to send it off for this. The only difference between my issues and how you have described yours, is that my screen does not light up at all until i have spent an hour forcing it on & off in order to get the screen up. It will work it just takes alot of persevering.

[edited to comply with guidelines-removed number]

• kgfdirect

Sorry mate...gave that method a try last night and no change at all.  The machine is still stuck pre-BIOS.

So I'm guessing there's no obvious way to low-level flash the BIOS like the AA1 fix?   Guess the laptop may be headed into the Acer repair shop...

• xyamz
    xyamz Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi there...

I have a same problem with u all...but i solve my problem with...wipe the RAM with eraser and clean towel...and it work...i think this is ram problem, but i not really sure about that...if u have the blue screen problem on your laptop, then you really have a ram problem...there is no wrong to try wipe the ram with pensel eraser...

Sorry for my bad english...

This discussion has been closed.